Verbal Reasoning - choosing two answers - help!

speechfan222

I just completed a verbal reasoning practice set. I did pretty well, but I missed a few sentence completion questions asking to choose two answers that are similar in meaning. I got most of one answer correct, but I missed the other one. Is the best way to practice these questions to keep studying vocabulary, so that I'm more familiar with words that are synonyms? What other study tips or recommendations can anyone provide for these question types?

It's good to know the vocabulary, but it's just as important to understand the context (what's really being tested). I'd recommend using study books (like Manhattan) that goes into detail about why a question is "right" (as opposed to just having the answer key), so you can really learn what the test makers are thinking, rather than just simply learning more vocab (although you should really be familiar with the 1000 most frequently tested words...if you have a smartphone, Magoosh has flashcard apps that are very helpful in gaining this proficiency). FWIW, this is what I did and I got a 165 on verbal. 

That's very helpful information. Thanks! I'm using the Kaplan GRE Premier 2015 book and it provides correct answer explanations. I like how it also explains why the wrong answers aren't the correct ones.

Have you used any other books as study materials for the Verbal reasoning section?

I guess I'm not up to date with everything, but what is FWIW?

I did a lot of Verbal Reasoning sets and found Kaplan's to be one of the worst because (often times) their choices didn't make that much sense. I even googled why it was confusing and came across Magoosh's best book list which helped me pinpoint my frustrations...so I'd consider ditching Kaplan for one of the "Best" books on their list (if possible).

http://magoosh.com/gre/2014/gre-book-reviews-2015/

FWIW = For what it's worth. 

Ha ha - just a little exaggeration there. Your neighbors probably wouldn't like a Kaplan bonfire. 

But no, I don't like Kaplan-anything. Their coverage of every part of the test is superficial. Their methods are overly simplified, and though they work on Kaplan-written questions, once you're up against complex ETS-written questions, you'll see the difference. I saw a comment on Amazon about a Kaplan book that, for me, said it all:

"The hardest question in the Kaplan book was easier than any of the questions on the real GRE".

As nevermind said, Magoosh's recommended books are a good place to start. I have extensive recommendations on my site too. 

Edited by Vince Kotchian GRE Prep
corrected URL

Interesting. I enjoyed reading your recommendations on your site, too. Thanks!

I know this isn't the correct thread, but instead of starting a new one, who would you recommend to ask for letters of recommendation? I don't have any lab experience from my undergrad (dumb mistake, I know), so I'm guessing asking any professor I took courses from would be the best option? I did well with my courses and went to office hours a couple of times, but I don't have a great relationship with them. I'm not sure if it would be a good idea to ask them anyway.

Any recommendations or tips for letters of rec are appreciated. Thanks!

My first tip is check out Graduate Admissions Essays by Donald Asher. So much good advice about the entire process of applying to grad school.

I would post a new thread in the appropriate place, since you will get more advice there. I'm not an expert on things like that, though I have worked with enough people to have an opinion about recs. I think the principle is you want someone who knows you well and is enthusiastic (or at least not less than enthusiastic) about writing the rec. To help them, you can give them a draft of your personal statement, meet with them and chat about your plans, give them a few bullet points of things they could emphasize about you, etc.