Disappointed in funding, ask for more?

RM1

I was accepted with a half tuition scholarship to a MA program, but I don't know how I could rationalize the cost of living where it is located. Does anyone have any tips on how I could go about bringing this up with the program coordinator? I'd hate for financial reasons to hold me back from going, and I'm sure this is a familiar situation for others, so what would you do to afford food and housing if you don't receive a stipend or TAship?

I think you have nothing to lose by asking for more. In your shoes, I would be honest with the program coordinator---that I am unable to afford school on the current scholarship and that you would be interested in additional funding opportunities such as TA work or if there are other scholarships/fellowships you could apply to.

13 hours ago, TakeruK said:

I think you have nothing to lose by asking for more. In your shoes, I would be honest with the program coordinator---that I am unable to afford school on the current scholarship and that you would be interested in additional funding opportunities such as TA work or if there are other scholarships/fellowships you could apply to.

I agree completely with this advice. They can't rescind your offer of admission, nothing bad can *really* happen by being honest and asking for more scholarship or work (TA, RA) opportunities. Negotiate!