Help weighing my PhD options? University Ranking vs. Research

sighsdeeply

I have received five acceptances so far in various Biological sciences PhD programs (international student, very excited!) I have narrowed down my options to two based on various factors but I'm having trouble making the final choice - U of Cincinnati or U of Maryland CP. The Cincinnati offer has a whole program geared towards my research interests, is offering me full tuition + RA funding and health insurance benefits. The Maryland CP offer has a diverse and general program but some amazing faculty research in my area of interest, is offering me the same level of funding/tuition/health insurance, except it's from a TA position, not RA. Based purely on ranking/reputation, the Maryland CP offer seems like the way to go. However, I am not sure a TA position is a good choice for me. Student placements, faculty research and publication standards seem comparable for both programs as well. Anyone can share their two cents on how I can approach the decision-making process, especially as an international who's never been to the US and is making choices based purely on college websites/faculty profiles/rankings? How much does the ranking of the PhD-granting institute matter in the end, so long as I manage to find a good research mentor/ dissertation work? Does a higher ranking mean more resources available to me for research or is that not a factor considering both are large public research universities? Thank you!

In sciences, I think it's more important who you work with than the ranking of the school (which is messy and doesn't reflect subfields very well).

For the TA position, would that require you to TA every semester? Or is that TA funding until you find a professor to pay you?

For the TA position, they have said it'll be my primary source of funding for 4 semesters, and then, if the professor is amenable, I can switch over to RA after my candidacy exam. If it is research that I should primarily focus on in making my choice, I'm personally leaning towards Cincinnati. I just wanted an insight into how big a role ranking plays in the end. Thank you for the reply! 

On 3/15/2016 at 9:43 AM, pterosaur said:

In sciences, I think it's more important who you work with than the ranking of the school (which is messy and doesn't reflect subfields very well).

For the TA position, would that require you to TA every semester? Or is that TA funding until you find a professor to pay you?

What do you think if they are ranked high (top 5) in the particular subfield of your science ? I'm trying to defend the choice to turn down top 10 overall / top 5 subfield for a "lower ranked school" in the 30s. Good names and great research (I think) at both with multiple PI options, supplemental fellowship etc -- but for location/fit/PI openings or concerns etc I am leaning (very) slightly to the lower one but I've been told I shouldn't turn down the big name ones. My old PI even said his pick would be the higher one, but that was without discussing any of my experiences with him ... I'm (physical )Chemistry by the way.

I think I would be happy at all of them and I'm grateful to have had such success in applying. They all gave me good impressions. With the higher ranked ones, there is just some uncertainty about my favorite PIs having space (a lot of recruits interested in the same labs) and they are farther away from family/S.O.

Edited by KaffeeCafe