Social Work PHD programs that do not weigh the gre heavily?

Hi – I can’t answer your question directly with regard to specific schools, but it might be worth considering why PhD programs do value the GRE. Unlike MSW studies, most social work doctoral programs have a strong focus on quantitative methods. Funding for research is increasingly based on data-driven results and evidence-based practices, and, as a result, students are expected to have more analytical expertise than ever (obviously, some programs are more quantitative than others, but I would argue they’re all trending that way). Also, don’t forget that most programs require a comprehensive exam prior to moving into the “candidate” stage of your studies, so test-taking doesn’t disappear once you get past admissions. It’s also hard enough to find faculty at any program that share your specific research interests; why limit the opportunities to only those that require lower test scores?

Rather than resign yourself to “I’ve never had success with tests,” I would suggest finding ways to simply improve your test-taking abilities. If you are committed to the work required for a PhD degree, then these are important skills regardless. Anecdotally, I have colleagues that found success using Magoosh.com. Remember, you don’t need 90+% scores to get into a program, but they can’t be in the 40% range either. Trust that doctoral studies (especially at top programs) are more challenging than earning “passable” GRE scores. Not sure if that's the answer you were hoping for, but, again, there’s a reason these tests are valued. Good luck with your journey.

Edited by SW_PHD

Hi,

Just saw this post and thought I would send a quick reply, as I myself have very low GRE scores (149 Quant, 151 Verbal, 4.5 Analytic Writing). I have taken the test twice, studying for multiple hours a day for months both times, and obtained a 1 point difference the second time taking the test. Very disheartening to say the least!

Anyway, I applied to 6 doctoral programs in social work during the current application cycle, including 3 top 10 schools (according to various ranking websites). Although I was incredibly nervous, and lacked confidence in my test scores, I felt confident that other qualities outweighed the potential advantages (and my own desire) to continue retaking the GRE. I also put in a great deal of work reaching out to schools, talking to doctoral program directors and at least 3-4 faculty members conducting research that aligned with my interests at each school I applied.

From my experience, many programs are interested in your abilities and experience in conducting research and your fit with current faculty. The GRE is one of many factors that goes into the admission process, and some programs will weigh that factor more heavily than others. I was upfront with the programs I applied to, and expressed my concern about my low GRE scores to them directly. In some cases, the program told me the GRE was just one of many factors they would consider. Other programs expressed that they did not consider low GRE scores to be a major consideration in the admission review process. However, one of my mentors, a faculty member who wrote one of my recommendation letters, felt it was important to address the scores through the letter they wrote for me. I can't say whether this helped my application, but it certainly did not hurt.  

In the end, I was accepted into 5 of the 6 programs I applied to, and have decided to attend a school that, when I first started the application process, seemed out of reach given my low test scores.

Good luck as you continue the process!