Accelerated Audiology

LA_AUD

I am considering Indiana University's audiology program and wondering how it compares to others?  I am curious about the difference between 3 year and 4 year programs. 

I'm currently in the program at IU. I specifically chose it due to it being 3 years as opposed to 4 years, or else I wouldn't be here. Seriously though, I had no other desire to come. I can't really say how it compares to a 4 year program (as I haven't really talked to anyone in one to compare), but I personally don't see much of a difference in any aspect. But if you have any other questions, I'm happy to answer them! 

Hey! Hope you don't mind, but I'm curious about the program too. How intense is it at IU, with the class load and all year curriculum? Are you happy with the education you're getting? Do you think having an extra year of clinical experience while still a student would be beneficial in anyway, or do you feel you'll be ready in the 3 years at IU? What kind of pediatric opportunities will you get? I've heard it's more of an adult focus. Dish on everything you have to share, please! Thanks :)

On March 19, 2016 at 8:25 PM, mitts02 said:

Hey! Hope you don't mind, but I'm curious about the program too. How intense is it at IU, with the class load and all year curriculum? Are you happy with the education you're getting? Do you think having an extra year of clinical experience while still a student would be beneficial in anyway, or do you feel you'll be ready in the 3 years at IU? What kind of pediatric opportunities will you get? I've heard it's more of an adult focus. Dish on everything you have to share, please! Thanks :)

It's pretty intense, I mean after all, it is grad school. I'm pretty much always doing something related to school, whether it be assignments for classes or clinic related. However, I wouldn't say I never have any free time. You just have to be smart about time management (and remembering it is okay to get Bs!) I am honestly not very pleased with the education I'm receiving. First, many classes are pointless and assign way too much busy work. Then there is the faculty. The clinical faculty are great! And for the most part, I enjoy clinic. But, some of the academic professors are awful. Some do not know how to teach and expect us to just know stuff before even lecturing about it, and can be very rude to the students. I'm not saying all of them are like this, but when you have a few that are, it makes it very hard to want to go to class, be motivated, and enjoy the program. 

I think I will be ready in 3 years. Like I said, the clinical faculty are great and actually care about you and your success. And thankfully, you'll be doing clinic when you're done anyway. In terms of pediatrics, it's only my first year, so we haven't really begun to talk about pediatrics yet. I see quite a few babies/children in clinic though. However, I have not been able to really do much of the testing due to not having learned about it yet.

Just as a final note, two people have already dropped out of the program (and there were only 8 of us to begin with). I myself have been on the verge of dropping out, for personal reasons as well as because of some of the comments I shared above. It is definitely tough and very draining, both emotionally and physically. 

Edited by audiu