A good sign?

mydragonflies

Well, I am assuming this is a good sign: I submitted my political science PhD app to Baylor but my GRE was ABYSMAL. Shockingly, embarrassinly low. It was so low because I graduated from HS 16 yrs ago and college 8 yrs ago, my husband is deployed, I am alone with our two toddler sons, and I moved our entire household to Texas in October (right before the GRE). In short, I could not study AT ALL.

I am currently a SAHM but formerly an attorney with my JD from Georgetown and an LSAT in the 93rd percentile. I didn't retake the GRE b/c I knew I wouldn't do any better until my husband returns from overseas.

So, I submitted my PhD applications despite the tragic GRE scores b/c once I start something I just need to finish it; i.e. with no real expectation of getting accepted this year. (I only applied to the two schools near our military post.) Well, I was invited down for the department's "Visitor Day" at the end of February, at which point I offered to submit my LSAT scores as evidence that I have performed better on standardized tests in the past. The professor I had been corresponding with felt like this would probably help the admissions committee since they didn't know what to do with my low GRE. That was TWO WEEKS ago. I was then violently ill for the next week and a half. I finally get well and contact the department to see if it is too late to submit score report and the department's secretary says it is not. Now I can't find the damn thing. SO I have to pay 50 bucks to get it sent to me asap so I can fax it to Baylor. Is it really worth it? Would you get the LSAT score and submit it at this late date? I could have sworn they were supposed to have made admissions decisions by now so I am guessing that I must be in admissions limbo there, not accepted or rejected yet... maybe?

BLEH. I can't STAND THIS.

I would DEFINITELY submit the LSAT scores!!! You've come this far, so why not??? You don't have anything to lose! Well, other than $50...but worst case scenario, you'll need the scores when you reapply, so go for it! Good luck!!!

I would DEFINITELY submit the LSAT scores!!! You've come this far, so why not??? You don't have anything to lose! Well, other than $50...but worst case scenario, you'll need the scores when you reapply, so go for it! Good luck!!!

You are right, I know I should. I have just hit a slump where part of me just wants to get rejected and be done with this year already! But I think this feeling is really just part of being ready for my husband to COME HOME ALREADY, kwim?

Yes yes, submit your LSAT scores!! I am in a similar boat as you, kinda - I went to law school too (JD from Cornell) and my GRE scores were kinda loopy, especially the GRE Literature subject test....I wish I had thought to ask them if they wanted my LSAT score! Tell us all what happens. Best of luck!

*throws admission-inducing magical faerie dust on us lawyers*

Yes, I know what you mean. But sometimes we women have to follow our mind and do what is logical instead of what feels good. Logically, you have done all of this work and even showed your face at the school's weekend event, so you might as well see it through. The worst that could happen is you could get accepted and maybe decide to put off enrolling until the next semester. Maybe that is an option?? Even if you have to reapply b/c you don't feel ready to do this until the hubby comes home, wouldn't it feel good to know you made it in??? :wink: Go get those LSAT scores ASAP!!!

You two are awesome! I am going to type of my letter and find a fax machine tomorrow (always fun with the boys in tow, lol). Then I should be able to fax the scores to the school Tuesday or Wednesday. I know that I will just be angry with myself if I don't finish this, even though it feels like the application that goes on and on and on...

I am definitely prepared to go if I get accepted, I just doubt I will given the GRE scores. On the upside, however, they could have rejected me already, so I have that going for me.

Yay for you!!!! Don't doubt yourself. GRE scores aren't everything!

*throws admission-inducing magical faerie dust on us lawyers*

Fireflymoon...can't social workers have some of your magical faerie dust??? We need to get into grad school too!!!:lol: