University of Chicago - Apply to more than 1 program?

newday123

A question for both current and past applicants to the school: Is it a good idea to apply to more than one program in the same division? The school website states that this practice is allowed.

I am rather torn between two programs. Each department has faculty members that I would like to work with. From what I've heard, the University of Chicago welcomes its students to take courses outside the department, and some professors hold joint appointments.

If I decide to apply to both programs, then I'd have to state this fact on the applications. Would the admissions committees view my decision unfavorably?

I've looked at the sets of course requirements for both programs and determined that both would serve me well.

I'd appreciate any thoughts on this issue. Thank you.

Not that I'm a huge expert or anything, but I think the general advice is that it looks bad if you apply to more than one subject at the same school. It shows lack of dedication to each individual program.

Think of it this way: the subject that you pick will most likely be what you end up teaching, ultimately (except in an oddball case like, say, "American Studies" or some such, in which case...don't get a Ph.D in it in the first place). Pick based on that.

I think it would depend on the relationship between the two programs to some degree. If we're talking about demography and sociology, for instance, I don't think splitting your application would work against you. You'll probably end up being an asset in both areas either way, and the programs typically have a close working relationship. If it's a wider leap, like psychology and sociology, then yes, I think you risk looking indecisive (unless you make a compelling argument for your interest in both).