Harvard Div?

mks114

On most people's radars, Harvard Divinity doesn't seem to be on the "list" anymore... are there any particular reasons for this?

Also, what's the big difference between MTS or ThM and if I already have an MA in New Testament, it ThM the better route?

THANKS!

On most people's radars, Harvard Divinity doesn't seem to be on the "list" anymore... are there any particular reasons for this?

Also, what's the big difference between MTS or ThM and if I already have an MA in New Testament, it ThM the better route?

THANKS!

I think it really depends on what your specialization is. HDS is still a great place to study a lot of things, and the funding is among the best available for master's programs. I feel that I've received an incredible education here, with some amazing professors and fellow students. That said, we definitely do some things better than others. Probably our top New Testament scholar, Francois Bovon, is retiring at the end of this semester. Beyond that, there is Elisabeth Schüssler Fiorenza, who does feminist biblical interpretation, and Karen King, who mostly works on non-canonical texts. They're both great at what they do, but obviously that leaves a lot of potential areas of focus uncovered. Laura Nasrallah teaches some classes on Paul, as well as some very good courses on the history of early Christianity. We also had a new professor, Giovanni Bazzana, start this fall. He's teaching classes on the Gospels and on Apocalypticism this year. The other good thing about Harvard, however, is the opportunity to take classes in the other schools of the Boston Theological Institute (BC, BU, EDS, Holy Cross, Gordon Conwell, Andover Newton, etc.) which can help to fill any areas that Harvard doesn't have covered as well.

I'm not sure how the MTS program would respond to someone who already had an MA in New Testament. It would be easier if you were trying to switch fields...In that sense, the ThM might be better, since that assumes you already have a master's degree, but I believe financial aid is quite limited for the ThM program.

Edited by Febronia

Hi mks114,

One significant difference between a MTS and a ThM is that a prerequisite for a ThM program is to already have earned a MDiv or its equivalent. This would usually comprise three years of prerequisite studies in contrast to one or two years for the MTS/MAR/MA. If considering the ThM, you should look at the institution's website or write to inquire as to if the equivalent of an MDiv is acceptable and what they consider to constitute MDiv equivalence. Another significant difference is that the purpose of a ThM program is to focus on one area of study beyond the level attained in the MDiv or equivalent studies. Some programs will allow for one or a few electives outside of that area, whereas others will not.

The ThM is not intended to provide the opportunity for a broad range of studies, which can be an advantage or disadvantage depending on your purposes. If you intend to continue with New Testament studies and do not desire courses in other areas, then perhaps a ThM in New Testament is appropriate for you. If instead you desire your next degree to focus exclusively on another area, such as Old Testament, then the ThM may also be appropriate if you have the required level of Hebrew. If you prefer to study diverse areas, then a MTS/MAR would be more suitable than a ThM.

The ThM is designed to be a one-year program, although the student could take longer and add additional courses for more diversity. The ThM is considered a higher degree than a two-year master's but is still at the master's level.

Edited by Mathētēs