Free GRE Retest?

hall0822

So I received I letter today from ETS. Assuming it was my scores from Nov. 6, I opened it nervously. Instead it was a letter offering me the chance t retake the verbal section only because there were apparent issues with the computer. Here's the exact language:

"The GRE Program has recently implemented another review process of individual

test performance for the computer-based GRE General Test Verbal and Quantitative

sections. The purpose of the process is to analyze each test taker’s performance data

to determine if the test presented to the individual was an appropriate selection of test

questions by the computer. It appears that in a very small number of cases, the

computer algorithm may not have functioned as effectively as intended. As a result,

ETS® is offering these test-takers the option of taking a free retest on the affected

section only. In this optional retest effort, the GRE® Program is attempting to be as

fair as possible to all examinees."

"There are multiple conditions that operate when the computer algorithm selects test

questions for the Verbal and Quantitative sections. Among these conditions are the

selection of various item types and the selection of differing content. In addition to

these conditions, the computer-adaptive algorithm considers the examinee’s

performance on the previous questions and the statistical properties of the questions.

On your test, it appears that the computer algorithm may have selected a more limited

range of test questions than is desirable; no other part of the General Test was

affected. Because you may have experienced this irregularity, we are offering you a

free retest of the affected section."

"There is no way to predict what might happen to your score. If you choose to retest,

your score can go up, down, or remain the same."

They've already sent my scores to the schools i'm applying so the retest would be a replacement of those scores. I got a 550 on the Verbal and during my practice tests I was getting high 500s and low 600s. I'm wondering if anyone has run into this and what you've done. Or just your thoughts on my situation since it is getting close to deadlines. I have already submitted 2 of 4 apps so i'm thinking it may not be worth the hassle.

Any thoughts are appreciated!

If you're comfortable with your score, I would say stick with it. I know a lot of people--especially with the verbal section--who feel they had an 'unfair' section. The problem with the CBT is that if you get say a small collection of vocabulary words that you don't know in the first ten questions you're likely to be much worse off than you would be had you gotten those same words at the end of the section. Is this fair? Probably not, but it is how the test goes.

For whatever reason, ETS saw some irregularity with the way your CBT was scored. Maybe you missed the first five questions and got the rest correct, and because of this the score you received is much lower than it should be. Whatever the case may be, it seems like ETS will replace your verbal score for this test with whatever you get on the retake, whether it is higher or lower. If you think the score you received isn't representative of your GRE performance, retake it, because you will almost certainly do better. Judging from your practice scores, though, it seems like you tested right about where you should be--maybe not the highest you've ever done, but still somewhere in your range.

All of this to say, if it were me, I would probably not go for the retake.