best GRE prep

jdubb

Ok, I don't really know anything about the GRE. I took the LSAT in September and am extremley familiar with it, and its format, and what preparation materials are the best. I am wondering what prep materials are best? What brand of book? Are there practice tests I can purchase for the GRE? A lot of my friends are telling me that it is much more "do-able" than the LSAT, and I can study for two weeks and do well. I will not take a prep course as I don't want to spend the money.

So what should I know?

I used the Kaplan prep book and liked it a lot. It was very straightforward and provided a good math review. I also bought a book on essential GRE words (I forget which one, but just get something with a few hundred). Also, a GRE word of the day email service is a good idea.

As for practice tests, the Kaplan book provides 1 in book (which isn't like the real test) and 3 practice tests plus quizzes on the CD. Also, if you buy the book new or renew the book ID you can sign up for their online service and get more practice tests and quizzes. Not a bad investment for about $20.

The PowerPrep program by ETS is obviously worth it, too. Just look on their site. (It's also free)

Overall advice? Take as many practice tests as possible, starting at least 2-3 weeks before your test date.

Edited by ScreamingHairyArmadillo

• 2 months later...

Ok, I don't really know anything about the GRE. I took the LSAT in September and am extremley familiar with it, and its format, and what preparation materials are the best. I am wondering what prep materials are best? What brand of book? Are there practice tests I can purchase for the GRE? A lot of my friends are telling me that it is much more "do-able" than the LSAT, and I can study for two weeks and do well. I will not take a prep course as I don't want to spend the money.

So what should I know?

What preparation materials would you recommend for the LSAT? I agree that taking a prep course is quite expensive. Do you know which book is best for studying for it? (Princeton Review, Kaplan, etc.) It's probably going to be a while before I take the LSAT, as I don't plan to apply to law school for a while, but I'd like to get started on studying for it. My GPA coming out of college was not the greatest but I heard that a great LSAT score can make up for a bad GPA so I figure the sooner I start studying for it, the better.