Writing Sample in Pretty Bad Shape, What do I do?

sometimesiexist

So guys, here's the long and the short of it. I'm pretty disheartened at this point. For a few reasons, my writing sample is not in good condition. I've written the sample (which is also the second chapter of my senior thesis) based off a paper I wrote last year. I just finished it last week. Needless to say, it's in pretty sorry shape. Even if I had all of my time to dedicate to making it as perfect as can be, it still wouldn't be perfect. Coming in at just under 30 pages, I need to edit out a lot, make it a lot more concise, and generally sharpen it.

Here's my dilemma, my first application absolutely needs to be sent out next tuesday or wednesday (it has a december 8 deadline, so that's cutting it sooo close it hurts). Do I focus on editing what I've got, because I do want to use it for other schools, or do I just do the editing to the first paper, which is in much better shape, that this essay is based on? OR ( and this is a big OR, considering I've already sent transcripts, LORs, GREs, and paid the fee) do I just scrap this application altogether and work toward that glowing writing sample I know that I'm capable of for my next applications?

Honestly, I'm just kind of down-trodden about this whole thing. Writing all this nonsense and trying to keep up in classes, and write my thesis, and hold down my job has pretty much knocked it all out of me. So, what do I do?

I totally understand how you feel.

I'd suggest that you polish the original paper for the applications that are absolutely due next week. Trying to revise your most recent writing sample when you feel exhausted is not going to help your applications to those schools or your writing sample. By polishing up the original paper, you'll get some time off from your writing sample AND generate some good ideas about revising it in the future. Also, try to catch a breather (even if it's short!) before the next round of edits.

Hope this helps! :)

Work on the paper that's in better shape until you have something presentable; submit that for the dec 8 deadline. Go back to working on the new sample after you've taken a few days' break from looking at it. The way I see it you gain the most this way - you submit the best possible paper for the closer deadline and you have that paper ready in case you don't manage to finish the new sample in time. So there's less pressure to finish the new sample, because you'll know you have something ready just in case. I think it's worth it to spend a week on the older paper and give it a try, and not just withdraw your application this late in the game. Good luck!