IQ Tests and Aptitudes for School

JacquelineMC

Hello everyone, I'm new to this site. I'm taking a sociology class and would like to have some view points on IQ Tests: Should IQ tests be formatted in a way that it test for a much broader approach when it comes to one's unique talents and gift (such as Gardner's Theory of Multiple Intelligences)?

Hello everyone, I'm new to this site. I'm taking a sociology class and would like to have some view points on IQ Tests: Should IQ tests be formatted in a way that it test for a much broader approach when it comes to one's unique talents and gift (such as Gardner's Theory of Multiple Intelligences)?

I taught a seminar just the other week on nearly exactly this very question. I'm not going to hand you any answers, but I will point you to some easily accessible sources. Read "The General Intelligence Factor" by Linda S. Gottfredson in Scientific American Presents (1998) as well as "A Multiplicity of Intelligences" Howard Gardner also in Scientific American Presents (1998). Not truly scientific articles, they're rather debating the G-factor contra multiple intelligences but it's a very nice introduction and the arguments they present are well worth thinking about. For a fun read you also have "QI: the Quest for Intelligence" by Kevin Warwick, which is a quick and easy read. (Edit: Hrm, it's a book so you're not going to get through it in an hour. But in a day or two maybe :) )

Also, I would suggest going back to the origins, have a look at the articles in which IQ was first presented and what the author argued then contra what is known and argued know (it's been over 70 years after all). And why not what Gardner argued in the 80's about multiple intelligences.

Last, consider practical applications; what is methodologically feasible to measure? What is "intelligence" more specifically/scientifically speaking? How do you operationalize it? On what criteria should talents/gifts/abilities be included in a test? What is the purpose and context of the test?

There you go, now you have some readings and questions to get you started :)

Edited by waylance