European University Institute

Engy

Dear All, 

I am a working professional with an MA in peace studies. I want to pursue my PhD degree in Political Science. I prefer schools in the U.S. or the U.K  especially if there is a good one with an online program if possible.

If not, I currently live in Italy and I would appreciate recommendations of good schools there. I heard about the European University Institute but I couldn't find sufficient information regarding its ranking or accreditation in the U.S. I would appreciate any information regarding this school.

My last option would be to apply for good schools that don't offer an online program and once accepted, leave for the program.  

Thanks in advance!

With US or UK programs, I would look into what you wish to do (I'm guessing peace studies) and then find faculty in PhD programs that do that. We can't really recommend anything beyond that without knowing your interests.

EUI is a great school, and it would likely open doors for you in the European market. However, the US market is almost totally reserved for US PhD's, so if you want to go into the American market, that's something to keep in mind.

I'm confused on the online program thing, what do you mean by that?

• 1 month later...

thank you for your reply. I am basically interested in studying the role of the economy in preventing violence during times of democratic transition. I want to look at Latin America and see if there could be lessons for the Middle East. 

As for the online program, I meant a PhD that does not require full-residency where i can do the coursework and then pursue the dissertation without having to be on campus. 

I would definitely like to have access to the U.S  market as well. If I pursue a post-doc degree in the US, can this open the way? I am trying to weight all the options and the possibilities. 

It seems like you're interested in a combination of the political economy of development and democratization. I would suggest off the top of my head that you check out all the top programs in the US (consulting the US news and world report rankings), and also check out Ohio State, Penn State, and Pittsburgh for conflict.

Unfortunately, any PhD program worth its salt will not allow you to take courses remotely. You may get some credit from your master's but that's about it.

You could maybe break into the US job market with a prestigious postdoc but it's still highly unlikely, considering there is an overproduction of American PhDs for those jobs. If you're serious about the US job market, choose a US PhD, the higher ranked the better.