SOP in foreign language

for those of you applying to language programmes....are you writing your SOPs in french/spanish/italian/etc or english? most departments do not specify which language they prefer.

as for writing samples....if you are applying to a spanish programme, for example, is it best to write a spanish paper on spanish literature? or can you be a bit flexible....say, writing in spanish on spanish and french literature? is that too comp. lity?

for those of you applying to language programmes....are you writing your SOPs in french/spanish/italian/etc or english? most departments do not specify which language they prefer.

as for writing samples....if you are applying to a spanish programme, for example, is it best to write a spanish paper on spanish literature? or can you be a bit flexible....say, writing in spanish on spanish and french literature? is that too comp. lity?

I'm applying to spanish programs, and have written my SoPs in English. I haven't worried about that too much, since most also require writing samples (usually specifically in Spanish or the pertinent language for the program).

As for the writing sample question... I wouldn't think this would be too much of a problem, and actually those programs that are in Romance Departments (as opposed to a separate Spanish or Spanish/Portuguese department) would find this particularly good. I say that because one of my recommendation writers also warned me against doing Romance Department programs because of the combining with other languages, but that's more personally because I have a background in Spanish and Portuguese, but none of French or Italian, etc.

Plus, check out the work that's been done by some of the faculty members. You'll probably find that they've written things comparing spanish-language literature to non-spanish literature.

In short, IMO, I wouldn't worry about it. Pick your stronger sample, even if it's one that is writing about spanish and french lit.

Edited by sew8d