How to response to "Do you mind telling me which program are you attending?"

AngryRobot!

Question

Hi all,

I got two offer this year and I just declined one. The coordinator replied that "Do you mind telling me which program are you attending?" 

I am sure they are just collecting data. However I do mind a little tell the exact program that I am attending. On the other hand though, they really invest a lot in my interview trip and I kinda feel bad not telling them.

Any suggestion will help. My field is biological science with emphasis on systems and computational modelling.

4 answers to this question

You can reply and say you haven't decided yet. You do realize this is information they will be able to find out themselves, because at some point you'll be on the 'students' page on your chosen university's website and it'll be on your CV and be presented as your affiliation at any presentation and on any publication? This is not exactly secret information. 

I told all my schools that I declined which program I'd decided on.
(even though i'm only 95% sure I'm attending it) 

I was hesitant at first, but all responded by congratulating me, praising my chosen program and asking me to keep them abreast of my research as I move forward.

So I wouldn't worry about telling them! As you say, they're likely just data collecting.

I'll add in that it helps schools build funding/recruitment packages for future years to know who they are losing students to and why. Schools want to know who they are competing with, and it only seems to benefit programs