getting into a masters in international affairs/ID

hazelground

Hi,

I would be glad if someone can rate my chances honestly and fairly for the top masters programmes in the US, particularly JFK Harvard, SIPA, SAIS or Yale.

My stats are below;;;

BSc Hons Economics - GPA 3.9 (~ First Class Honours at School of Oriental and African Studies, University of London, UK)

GRE - V/720, Q/790

- over a year working with development NGOs (human rights, HIV/AIDS, child labour, publishing) in India

- a Chinese language semester in Beijing

- London-based 4-month experience in economic consulting

- over one year working with an emerging markets bank (but based in London)

- can speak 3 European languages as well as Hindi and Chinese at a basic/conversational level...

- able to get quite good recommendations from lecturers and employers

I am aware that I lack work experience with the central bank/government, however, being of foreign origin

implies that I am not eligible to apply for such roles in the UK.

sorry for the lengthy info, would appreciate if someone can advise on my chances, or perhaps some advice on how to improve my app....

I still have a year to go, trying to work and save some money at the moment in order to reduce future debt :)

thank you very much!

cheers

Hi,

I would be glad if someone can rate my chances honestly and fairly for the top masters programmes in the US, particularly JFK Harvard, SIPA, SAIS or Yale.

My stats are below;;;

BSc Hons Economics - GPA 3.9 (~ First Class Honours at School of Oriental and African Studies, University of London, UK)

GRE - V/720, Q/790

- over a year working with development NGOs (human rights, HIV/AIDS, child labour, publishing) in India

- a Chinese language semester in Beijing

- London-based 4-month experience in economic consulting

- over one year working with an emerging markets bank (but based in London)

- can speak 3 European languages as well as Hindi and Chinese at a basic/conversational level...

- able to get quite good recommendations from lecturers and employers

I am aware that I lack work experience with the central bank/government, however, being of foreign origin

implies that I am not eligible to apply for such roles in the UK.

sorry for the lengthy info, would appreciate if someone can advise on my chances, or perhaps some advice on how to improve my app....

I still have a year to go, trying to work and save some money at the moment in order to reduce future debt :)

thank you very much!

cheers

anyone?

any inputs would be very much appreciated...

thanks!

Try posing the question in the Government Affairs where people in a similar boat as you will be more likely to see this.

My question would be what do you want to accomplish with your degree? I ask that because the some of those schools have differing orientations. Secondly, working for a major government or intergovernmental institution of not necessary for a strong application to those schools; but a strong commitment to public service, broadly defined, is. Your application will be competitive so long as you keep that in mind.

Edited by FSIA

Try posing the question in the Government Affairs where people in a similar boat as you will be more likely to see this.

My question would be what do you want to accomplish with your degree? I ask that because the some of those schools have differing orientations. Secondly, working for a major government or intergovernmental institution of not necessary for a strong application to those schools; but a strong commitment to public service, broadly defined, is. Your application will be competitive so long as you keep that in mind.

Thanks a lot for your insight...i know that i will need a strong statement of purpose :)

will post my question on gvt affairs too...

cheers