Anxiety and Depression Research Programs?

tsgriffey

I'm considering getting a masters and eventually a doctorate in psychopathology, specifically looking at the biological and psychological causes of anxiety and depression and, as a result, how they can best be treated.

I'm not interested in being a practitioner at this time, I'm simply looking for feedback into this field and some of the relevant and best programs to do academic research. I'm aware of a PhD program at UCLA that investigates these issues in relation to long-term potentiation (right up my alley), but that's pretty much it.

Also, what does the funding look like in this field? I'm wary of academia because of the high cost of entry, but it's my dream.

Thanks to all who can help!

• 5 months later...

I'm sad no one replied to this because I'm wondering the same thing!

Stanford, Harvard, and Yale all have cool depression and anxiety research going on, but my knowledge beyond those schools is limited. Have you learned anything else since you posted?

On 4/2/2016 at 6:56 PM, tsgriffey said:

I'm considering getting a masters and eventually a doctorate in psychopathology, specifically looking at the biological and psychological causes of anxiety and depression and, as a result, how they can best be treated.

I'm not interested in being a practitioner at this time, I'm simply looking for feedback into this field and some of the relevant and best programs to do academic research. I'm aware of a PhD program at UCLA that investigates these issues in relation to long-term potentiation (right up my alley), but that's pretty much it.

Also, what does the funding look like in this field? I'm wary of academia because of the high cost of entry, but it's my dream.

Thanks to all who can help!

Hi there,

I don't really know anything about this field.  To answer your question about funding:  I was accepted at UCLA last year.  Their stipend was a bit over $22,000/year if I recall correctly.  That's not great considering the extremely high cost of living in LA, but if you're frugal you might be able to get by. UCLA also has a pretty good track record of getting people NSF's I believe, which offers around 34k/year for 3 years.

Master's programs are generally not funded, although some schools do offer tuition remission or even small stipends.  The only ones I know that do this are on the east coast: Wake Forest, Villanova, and College of William and Mary.  West coasters can maybe chime in about master's programs in that region.

Cheers.