Getting into a graduate neuroscience program

lg111

Question

Hi, I am looking for some advice! 

I have started looking into getting into grad school for neuroscience, and I am just not sure what the standards are. I have a degree already in Environmental Science, and I returned to school to get going on some pre-medical school classes. However, I am thinking strongly about doing neuroscience. I have a 3.4 GPA right now, an A in both Anatomy and Physiology courses, a B in chemistry, hopefully an A in my organic chemistry re-take course, and no physics or calculus classes. I did a lot of field research as an environmental scientist, but very little lab research. Unfortunately, I wasn't as focused in my last degree so my GPA is lower than I would like. Can anyone tell me how realistic it is to apply to grad school within the next year, considering I can do part time lab work, maybe some volunteering and paid experience? I haven't taken my GRE's but I think I will be able to get a relatively high score. I was looking into staying at a school in the western U.S. Thanks so much for your help! 

2 answers to this question

On 4/3/2016 at 9:22 PM, lg111 said:

Can anyone tell me how realistic it is to apply to grad school within the next year, considering I can do part time lab work, maybe some volunteering and paid experience?

This is the key. A 3.4 isn't low enough to keep you out of competitive schools, but a 3.4 without relevant research is. If you make an effort to gain some marketable neuroscience skills by the time you apply (is a full time research tech position an option for you?) it is definitely realistic.

It is good that you have started working towards your goals. I suggest that you check the entry requirements of colleges you aim to get into & know the prerequisites. Also, communicate with the professors & find out what you can do to align your profile with their requirements