Political Theory at Toronto, Claremont, BC, UT Austin, etc?

I'm a junior beginning to explore graduate programs in political science. I'm particularly interested in schools with good political theory/history of political thought concentrations. Does anyone know about or have any experience with political theory at Toronto in particular? How selective is the program? Are american applicants at an advantage or disadvantage in the admissions process?

I attend St. John's College and will graduate with a double major in philosophy and history of math and science, and a double minor in comparative literature and classics. I currently have a 3.8. I'm close with several professors who should be able to write good recs. Also, I've been a part of a political philosophy study group with two professors for the last two years. Don't know that it matters for theory, but I also have a number of practical political internships under my belt. Haven't taken GRE's and, from what I understand, they aren't required at toronto. What can I do to make myself a more attractive candidate? Should I try to make a connection with potential thesis advisers?

I'm also considering the programs at Boston College, UT Austin, and at the Claremont Graduate University. How do these programs rank in terms of selectivity? Any other schools that I should consider for political theory? Thanks.

Would you be applying for the direct-entry PhD or MA at Toronto? They offer a PhD straight out of undergrad but the admissions criteria more stringent than for the MA - 4 LORs, higher GPA, etc. When I was in 4th year undergrad I got into the MA and I had about an A average at the time - not sure how that equates to GPA but I'm pretty sure a 3.8 would be more than enough.

My inclination now is to get an MA to begin with, take a few years off, and then work towards the PhD. The thing is, if I get accepted into the PhD program there will be greater opportunities for funding. If I apply to the PhD program and get rejected, will I be automatically deferred to MA admissions committee? Thanks for the response.

My inclination now is to get an MA to begin with, take a few years off, and then work towards the PhD. The thing is, if I get accepted into the PhD program there will be greater opportunities for funding. If I apply to the PhD program and get rejected, will I be automatically deferred to MA admissions committee? Thanks for the response.

I don't think so. I think you have to pick one. The MA in Toronto may have funding too - I rejected my offer before I could find out.Masters are normal here before PhD so it's not like the States where MAs are generally never funded. There will be TAships etc for MA students.

• 2 weeks later...

If you do apply to toronto, make sure to apply for the SSHRC as well. The deadline is a lot earlier (usually sept or october) and you may have to apply through your department, but since so many people miss the deadline (at least at my school) it is not all that hard to get it.

On 11/30/2009 at 1:23 AM, Zoon Politikon said:

I'm a junior beginning to explore graduate programs in political science. I'm particularly interested in schools with good political theory/history of political thought concentrations. Does anyone know about or have any experience with political theory at Toronto in particular? How selective is the program? Are american applicants at an advantage or disadvantage in the admissions process?

I attend St. John's College and will graduate with a double major in philosophy and history of math and science, and a double minor in comparative literature and classics. I currently have a 3.8. I'm close with several professors who should be able to write good recs. Also, I've been a part of a political philosophy study group with two professors for the last two years. Don't know that it matters for theory, but I also have a number of practical political internships under my belt. Haven't taken GRE's and, from what I understand, they aren't required at toronto. What can I do to make myself a more attractive candidate? Should I try to make a connection with potential thesis advisers?

I'm also considering the programs at Boston College, UT Austin, and at the Claremont Graduate University. How do these programs rank in terms of selectivity? Any other schools that I should consider for political theory? Thanks.

You might also want to look at WashU and Emory, depending on your specific interests. UT only funds a handful of theory admits a year, and I've heard CGU doesn't fund well either.

I thought St. John's only offered one BA, in liberal arts?

• 2 months later...

If I apply to the PhD program and get rejected, will I be automatically deferred to MA admissions committee?

Yes, you will. I was rejected from the PhD program last year and admitted to the MA program. I declined due to lack of funding and reapplied this year.

Sorry this is about 3 months late :unsure:

On 2/25/2010 at 7:59 PM, interista said:

Yes, you will. I was rejected from the PhD program last year and admitted to the MA program. I declined due to lack of funding and reapplied this year.

Sorry this is about 3 months late :unsure:

I apologize for the tardiness, too. But, I would suggest to the OP that he also include WUSTL and Chicago and maybe even the Rhetoric program at Berkeley, also UC-D has a couple great guys, and if you feel adventurous, Johns Hopkins (though, you may be at a disadvantage there!). I was once thinking about going to St. John's years back--great program. To the other poster a ways back, St. John's offers only a BA in Liberal Arts, but, for us non-great books schoolchildren, that's the same as a double in history of science/math and philosophy/literature/English.

So, good luck, if you have any questions, OP, please feel free to email/PM me.

• 4 months later...

Have you considered the University of Dallas? I was a politics major there as an undergrad. They have an excellent program, although not as high profile as the places you're talking about-- the department was recently ranked 30th in the nation in a survey of college professors on which political theory PhD they thought was best. They have Dr. Thomas G. West, who got his degree from Claremont Graduate School in the 70s studying with Dr. Harry Jaffa, who was a student of Leo Strauss. Also, as an undergrad at Cornell, Dr. West was a student of Allan Bloom, another student of Strauss. U Dallas also has Dr. de Alvarez, who specializes in Aristotle and Plato. They also recently hired Dr. Jonathan Culp, who completed his doctorate in political theory at Boston College just a few years ago.