UK masters

I have a 62% overall grade for my individual units and a 58% for the masters dissertation. Overall, this counts as a 'pass' classification. Will this count against me for the US Ph.d fellowships/funding?This is, for an English Ph.d

Edited by Judth

I have a 62% overall grade for my individual units and a 58% for the masters dissertation. Overall, this counts as a 'pass' classification. Will this count against me for the US Ph.d fellowships/funding?This is, for an English Ph.d

So did your university not use the first, 2.1, 2.2 system for classifying degrees? What are the other classifications other than a pass? Without any knowledge of the other levels, I couldn't judge.

I think the original poster meant those were his/her grades for the masters, not undergrad. If that's the case, most UK PhD programs I saw expected a merit on the masters for acceptance, and I would imagine US schools would be similar. That said, at 62% you're not that far off, especially since masters aren't expected in the US and many come straight out of undergrad. So if your undergrad grades are good, I wouldn't worry too much.

So did your university not use the first, 2.1, 2.2 system for classifying degrees? What are the other classifications other than a pass? Without any knowledge of the other levels, I couldn't judge.

Most UK masters have fail, pass, merit and distinction. Some will also distinguish between merit and high merit.

Most UK masters have fail, pass, merit and distinction. Some will also distinguish between merit and high merit.

Really? I thought they continued with the whole first, 2.1 etc shebang at a graduate level. I went to graduate school in Ireland and they did the whole distinction merit thing, but I thought it was unique to them. I shall take note... :)

I have a 62% overall grade for my individual units and a 58% for the masters dissertation.

Here is the "conversion chart" at the bottom of my transcripts from Sussex:

"100% to 70%" assessment grade = US letter grade "A" = "I" degree classification = Pass

"69% to 60%" assessment grade = US letter grade "A- to B+" = "IIi" degree classification = Pass

"59% to 50%" assessment grade = US letter grade "B to B-" = "IIii" degree classification = Pass

"49% to 40%" assessment grade = US letter grade "C+ to C" = "III" degree classification = Pass

"39% to 30%" assessment grade = US letter grade "D" = "PASS" degree classification

"29% to 0%" assessment grade = US letter grade "F" = "FAIL" degree classification

I hope this helps with the conversation!

Best,

JAMG

Really? I thought they continued with the whole first, 2.1 etc shebang at a graduate level. I went to graduate school in Ireland and they did the whole distinction merit thing, but I thought it was unique to them. I shall take note... :)

Can't speak for every school of course but mine (LSE) did pass, merit, distinction. I was accepted into Oxford and did a fair amount of reading their student handbooks, etc. and they do pass, merit distinction as well. Other than those two though, I don't know. I always just assumed it was common to all of them.

Can't speak for every school of course but mine (LSE) did pass, merit, distinction. I was accepted into Oxford and did a fair amount of reading their student handbooks, etc. and they do pass, merit distinction as well. Other than those two though, I don't know. I always just assumed it was common to all of them.

Thanks, all for replying.

I have finished my masters, so the 2:1 classification system doesnt apply. But a week after these results have been up, I guess it doesn't really matter. Trying to make sure that my SOP and WS assesses me better as an applicant!

Thanks, all for replying.

I have finished my masters, so the 2:1 classification system doesnt apply. But a week after these results have been up, I guess it doesn't really matter. Trying to make sure that my SOP and WS assesses me better as an applicant!

My undergrad's a 69%, so I guess it should be fine!