Can I send a paper-under-review?

eucalyptus

None of the programs I'm applying for (Psych) require a writing sample, but many suggest that you can attach a paper or other material if you would like to. I've written a research paper covering a bunch of my Masters work that is currently under review for publication. Is it okay to attach this to my applications? I ask because it hasn't yet been accepted, and if/when it is, it'll probably have to be edited. So, the current form is not the "official" form that it will (hopefully) one day be appearing in. Is this something to be concerned about? Also, my mom (who used to be a researcher) is neurotic about idea-stealing - do I really have to be worried about that when sending my paper with my applications?

Definitely attach it, but make sure you clearly note that it's under review. A header saying something like. "Preliminary draft; please do not cite without author's permission" would do the trick.

Thanks, that makes a lot of sense!

Absolutely DO NOT attach it without talking to your PI first! You are essentially putting this paper into public domain by attaching it as a writing sample, because if it is interesting, it will spread outside the adcom to their colleagues who are working on the same problem. You may find yourself scooped.

It is difficult to overstate the care you need to take with this. If your advisor gives it the go-ahead, then they likely know best, but talk to them first unless you want a letter of rec to disappear.

Absolutely DO NOT attach it without talking to your PI first! You are essentially putting this paper into public domain by attaching it as a writing sample, because if it is interesting, it will spread outside the adcom to their colleagues who are working on the same problem. You may find yourself scooped.

It is difficult to overstate the care you need to take with this. If your advisor gives it the go-ahead, then they likely know best, but talk to them first unless you want a letter of rec to disappear.

That's true, I didn't consider that the paper might make it out of the adcom. I'll definitely check with my supervisor before sending it.