Feedback on Chances

IRreader185

Hi everyone,

I've been following this forum for a while, so I figured I'd finally post to get your insights on chances, especially from past applicants. I'm applying to WWS, SAIS, MSFS, GW Elliott, and George Mason.

School: Top 10 public

Majors: Double major in international relations and physics with "honors" in IR

GPA: Overall: 3.0 IR GPA: 3.8

GRE: (combined) 620V 760Q 5.5/6.0 AWA

SOP: I think it's good... will adcoms? Who knows....

Letters: Letters from my work superiors and undergrad profs, some well known

Research experience: Year long independent project on nonproliferation, managing research assistant for two projects with profs in undergrad, four conference papers (two on nuclear issues and two on delegation issues), and one minor publication

WE: 2 years, over 1 year spent with a nonprofit embedded in the Department of Energy working nuclear counterproliferation issues

Service Experience: Varied, but significant domestic and international

Interests: Nuclear nonproliferation and counterproliferation

Abroad experience: Minimal, short term service trip to Latin America

Languages: Basic/Intermediate Arabic and Basic French

My overall GPA is weak, no question, but perhaps some of the other numbers will help offset it? We're all just shooting in the dark with our appraisals of one another's chances, but reality checks are always good. Thanks for the feedback!

Edited by IRreader185

Hi everyone,

I've been following this forum for a while, so I figured I'd finally post to get your insights on chances, especially from past applicants. I'm applying to WWS, SAIS, MSFS, GW Elliott, and George Mason.

School: Top 10 public

Majors: Double major in international relations and physics with "honors" in IR

GPA: Overall: 3.0 IR GPA: 3.8

GRE: (combined) 620V 760Q 5.5/6.0 AWA

SOP: I think it's good... will adcoms? Who knows....

Letters: Letters from my work superiors and undergrad profs, some well known

Research experience: Year long independent project on nonproliferation, managing research assistant for two projects with profs in undergrad, four conference papers (two on nuclear issues and two on delegation issues), and one minor publication

WE: 2 years, over 1 year spent with a nonprofit embedded in the Department of Energy working nuclear counterproliferation issues

Service Experience: Varied, but significant domestic and international

Interests: Nuclear nonproliferation and counterproliferation

Abroad experience: Minimal, short term service trip to Latin America

Languages: Basic/Intermediate Arabic and Basic French

My overall GPA is weak, no question, but perhaps some of the other numbers will help offset it? We're all just shooting in the dark with our appraisals of one another's chances, but reality checks are always good. Thanks for the feedback!

Hi IReader,

I really can't offer any advice on your chances so apologies for not answering your question directly. I just see that you have experience and interest in Nuclear nonproliferation. Have you considered the Monterey Institute of International Studies? I don't know a lot about this field but do know that Monterey's Nuclear Proliferation program/center are top in the field.

To add onto the last post, if you're interested in nonproliferation (which is exactly what I'll be studying in grad school myself!), then definitely consider the Sam Nunn School of International Affairs at Georgia Tech. One of my former professors there, Dr Adam Stulberg, has just secured a huge grant from the Carnegie Corporation to form a Program on Strategic Stability Evaluation (POSSE), in conjunction with Dr William Potter of the Monterey Institute. Learn more about the opportunity here.

I think the opportunity itself is only open to grads and post-docs, but to be at the Nunn School right now working with Dr Stulberg, or at MIIS working with Dr Potter, would be an incredible experience. A lot of great minds are involved in this project, including Jeffrey Lewis, Director of the Nuclear Strategy Initiative at the New America Foundation.

On a side note, I'd love to keep in touch with you going forward. Even though you didn't include my school in your list, I'd be happy to answer any questions you may have about Fletcher.

Best of luck!

Edited by riz1

• 2 weeks later...

Hi IReader,

I really can't offer any advice on your chances so apologies for not answering your question directly. I just see that you have experience and interest in Nuclear nonproliferation. Have you considered the Monterey Institute of International Studies? I don't know a lot about this field but do know that Monterey's Nuclear Proliferation program/center are top in the field.

Thanks for the info, but because of some personal commitments, I need to stay within striking distance of DC. Monterey does have a very good program though.

To add onto the last post, if you're interested in nonproliferation (which is exactly what I'll be studying in grad school myself!), then definitely consider the Sam Nunn School of International Affairs at Georgia Tech. One of my former professors there, Dr Adam Stulberg, has just secured a huge grant from the Carnegie Corporation to form a Program on Strategic Stability Evaluation (POSSE), in conjunction with Dr William Potter of the Monterey Institute. Learn more about the opportunity here.

I think the opportunity itself is only open to grads and post-docs, but to be at the Nunn School right now working with Dr Stulberg, or at MIIS working with Dr Potter, would be an incredible experience. A lot of great minds are involved in this project, including Jeffrey Lewis, Director of the Nuclear Strategy Initiative at the New America Foundation.

On a side note, I'd love to keep in touch with you going forward. Even though you didn't include my school in your list, I'd be happy to answer any questions you may have about Fletcher.

Best of luck!

Good to know about the new grant at Nunn. Because of some personal things, I need to stay within striking distance of DC. Looks like Georgia is out... That said, if you want to talk non-proliferation and such, feel free to touch base off line. Always looking for quality co-authors...