"Recommended" Subject Test

Okay you guys -- what do you think about programs who list the Subject Test as "Recommended"?

I know that "highly recommended" means that you should really send it in, and that optional means send it if your score is good and don't send it if it's low, but I'm not sure where on the spectrum "recommended" lies?

I'm specifically thinking of Rutgers Comp Lit program...if anyone has specific information about them.

To give some context I'd prefer to NOT send it, since my verbal score is high (740) but my subject test score is low (550)....do you think for someone like me it would be best not to inlcude it? How are others in similar situations handling the "recommended" category?

Thanks!

Edited by tlsaborido

If a subject test is recommended, but not required that signals to me immediately that not every applicant will turn in their scores (even though most have probably taken it, given the large number of programs that do require it.) This means, at least what I think it means, is that programs cannot hold your Subject test score against you. Say your clone applies to one of these recommended programs and turns in the same exact material as you do with the exception of the subject test scores. I don't think they would grant admission to your clone just because your score wasn't exceptionally high and the clone didn't report a score.

All of the faculty that I've talked to about the subject test are aware of how arbitrary that test is, which is probably why many more schools no longer require the exam. The only way they would use the test in the case where it is recommended is likely to help you. Say you went to lower tier school for undergrad, or majored in a field that was not English, and you did really well on the Subject Test. Your subject test score may make up the difference in your undergrad education--in other words, they may give more weight to your 4.0 even if it was at a lower tier school. It can also display that you have a solid grip on the field, even if you're background is in another.

Does this make sense?

I submitted my score to my school that recommended (but not required) Subject Test scores. I don't know my score yet, but I don't think its going to be particularly exceptional. I'm also sending the score to some schools that don't require the Subject Test, but only because of a flub with ETS that they want me to pay for to change (I can only pay so many $20 fees, and you would think that they shouldn't charge to send less information somewhere, but ETS does defy logic...). I'm not too worried about it now, but may be in March if I don't get into any programs who saw my subject test score. :)

All of this to say that if you're application is strong in all other respects, I think you'll be fine with a mid-range Subject Test score, even at schools where the test is required.

• 2 weeks later...

I don't think the test is "arbitrary." You can definitely control your score by how much you study. It just isn't a particularly useful measure of how you will do as a graduate student. If the test is only "recommended" I would send a good score and leave out a bad one. Whether a 550 is bad or not depends on how extensive your background in English is. If you have done a lot of English as an undergraduate, I think your application demonstrates your preparedness and the score is fine. If you majored in something else, and are trying to switch fields or something like that, it would hurt you not to have a good score--it would just raise red flags about your ability to jump into graduate level work.

• 1 month later...

I don't think the test is "arbitrary." You can definitely control your score by how much you study. It just isn't a particularly useful measure of how you will do as a graduate student. If the test is only "recommended" I would send a good score and leave out a bad one. Whether a 550 is bad or not depends on how extensive your background in English is. If you have done a lot of English as an undergraduate, I think your application demonstrates your preparedness and the score is fine. If you majored in something else, and are trying to switch fields or something like that, it would hurt you not to have a good score--it would just raise red flags about your ability to jump into graduate level work.

I'd say it's the opposite. If you majored in English as an undergrad, you should be getting a good score. If you didn't major in English, a low score would be understandable.