Rescinding Acceptance

I was offered admission for fall 2016 and I have to sign a form saying that I will not rescind my acceptance if I am accepted elsewhere. I am still trying to decide between two schools, and wanted to know if there were any ramifications for signing the acceptance and then attending another university? 

12 hours ago, Speechster said:

I was offered admission for fall 2016 and I have to sign a form saying that I will not rescind my acceptance if I am accepted elsewhere. I am still trying to decide between two schools, and wanted to know if there were any ramifications for signing the acceptance and then attending another university? 

I don´t think there would be any formal ramifications.

However, there would be consequences. For example, if you paid a deposit or advance on tuition, that would be gone. The real consequences would be in terms of networking or professional relationships. The professors from the school from which you rescind the acceptance may very well know professors at the other school where you´d be accepted. I don´t think they´d be so vengeful so as to call and cause problems, but you never know. More likely is that if they remember your name, they´re going to remember it negatively and that could have an impact later on (conferences, publications, etc). 

Frankly though, I think honesty and sincerity can overcome a lot of those issues. Professors like working with and helping students. Try calling and speaking with the department director. Explain a bit about your situation (all the while gracefully explaining that you are very interested in their program) and ask about things that could help you make up your mind either way. 

I hope this helps :/ Sorry you´re in a sticky situation! 

I am in the same situation. I don't have to put any money down but one school (my only acceptance thus far) has a deadline this Friday. The other school I want to go to (USF) won't be letting people know until sometime this week or next. Can I send my acceptance then retract it? I might just have to !