GPA for grad school in demography

ahert

Question

Hello! I am currently an undergrad at Penn. I am looking to apply to graduate programs in Demography, but I have one concern. When I was a freshman I originally thought I wanted to be computer science major. I took plenty of classes in the computer science department, but I received grades that were B's and C's. Because of this, my GPA has suffered. I currently have a 3.6 GPA cumulative, but a 3.86 GPA in just sociology/demography courses. Since I am applying for  PhD programs in Sociology/Demography do you think my grades in computer science will be overlooked? 

Thank you!

1 answer to this question

It sounds like you've trended upwards, and since your shift of focus, your grades have gotten better, which is a good sign. Grad admissions committees recognize that people who enter college are not accustomed to the workload, how to study, etc., so having a trending upwards GPA shows them that you were able to learn these skills, which is a positive. Honestly, your GPA is pretty good, and it'll depend on your experience (research, work experience related to field).