Unfunded PhD in Public Health, advise please!

dryan8x

I got accepted into a PhD in Health Management and Policy by a state university in Kentucky but I may not know the funding information until July. There may be a graduate assistantship opportunity that can only know until summer. However, I already accepted this admission offer. I really want to study this program but I cannot afford. I try to look for scholarships but I haven't found any scholarships yet. My solutions are:

1. Defer the offer, go to work and try to look for a scholarship.
2. Apply for another program with full fundings next year.
3. Take loans for the first year and find fundings while I am in school.

However, it would be expensive since I will be an out-of-state student and already have student loans. I would appreciate any one could let me know where I can find a scholarship for PhD in public health. Please give specific information because I have been trying to find and read a ton of websites.

Assuming this is your only acceptance, I think you should wait to hear back about possible funding. If it's a yes, you go. If it's a no, you explain that you are very excited about the program but can't attend without funding and ask to defer by one year in the hopes that you'll get funded next year. Meanwhile you reapply to other programs and hope for a better outcome. Don't attend an unfunded program and don't count on something working out after the first year -- what if it doesn't? That could have significant negative outcomes and is not worth the risk. 

8 minutes ago, fuzzylogician said:

Assuming this is your only acceptance, I think you should wait to hear back about possible funding. If it's a yes, you go. If it's a no, you explain that you are very excited about the program but can't attend without funding and ask to defer by one year in the hopes that you'll get funded next year. Meanwhile you reapply to other programs and hope for a better outcome. Don't attend an unfunded program and don't count on something working out after the first year -- what if it doesn't? That could have significant negative outcomes and is not worth the risk. 

But if I wait, it will be very late. I need to work to pay for my current student loans and earn living. Your solutions are similar with what I am going to do. I hope I could find some internal or external scholarships. I tried to find scholarships but I could not. It is so sad. Thank you for your advice.

Honestly, I think you need to assume that it will not work out this year. There is always some chance that they will suddenly find funding for you, but I think it's unlikely to happen very late in the game, I'm sorry. Money to fund unfunded students doesn't usually appear late in the summer. I don't think you can count on external funding to come in in time, these things require detailed applications and I would assume anything applicable that has submission deadlines in the nearish future will not be decided and disbursed before you'd want to start the program, assuming you win it. So realistically, you are looking at working and reapplying next year, unless something unexpected happens in the next few months. 

12 minutes ago, fuzzylogician said:

Honestly, I think you need to assume that it will not work out this year. There is always some chance that they will suddenly find funding for you, but I think it's unlikely to happen very late in the game, I'm sorry. Money to fund unfunded students doesn't usually appear late in the summer. I don't think you can count on external funding to come in in time, these things require detailed applications and I would assume anything applicable that has submission deadlines in the nearish future will not be decided and disbursed before you'd want to start the program, assuming you win it. So realistically, you are looking at working and reapplying next year, unless something unexpected happens in the next few months. 

Hi Fuzzylogician,

Yes, I am ready to work after finishing my master program. I think it is better to use my time to apply for better programs. But I still need to wait because actually, I will finish my master program in mid July. I hope that I should hear back before I finish my master program.

Thank you for your enthusiastic advice. It hurts me but I need to accept this sad truth and move on.