Can I start an application now for admission 2017 period when application system doesn't open for 2017?

flowingdata

Question

So I want to start to fill out the grad school applications early so that I can keep track of which items I'm missing/need more work. However, I realize that many programs don't have their applications open for 2017 Fall admission yet. I mean their online application system is open and you're free to create an application and work out the forms, but under admission period it will only allow you to select something like 2015-2016, and no 2017. My question is, can I still create an application now in such systems? I didn't realize this is questionable until I read what Yale says on their website: "Do not create an account for an application type outside of the active period dates for that application. Doing so will cause significant problems and could preclude you from continuing the application of your choice." I've actually created several application accounts already for other programs but this Yale's message is a bit scary.

Edited by jennywang

2 answers to this question

For Yale (and probably the others) if you begin an application before it opens for your cycle, it will be deleted when it officially opens. So if you create an application now for Yale, it will be deleted on September 1st, or whatever date the application is live for your cycle. I would recommend thinking about your written materials now, like your SOP and thinking about who you want to ask for letters of rec. The SOP is far more time intensive than just filling out the application itself, and you can work on that whenever.

Don't begin applications before they are active, that can't lead to anything good. You can read up on requirements on departments' websites and create a spreadsheet to keep track of requirements and deadlines, to be updated later in the fall. There is a lot you can get started on now if you wish, for example writing a first draft of your SOP. Those things take time and the best thing you can do is write a preliminary version with enough time to put it away and come back to it several times. You could do research on each department and potential advisor, for a stronger, more focused SOP. You could refine your research interests, think about questions that interest you, and the language you'd need to use to describe it concisely in a statement. You could work on your writing sample, if any program requires it. You could study for the GRE. You could create a CV for yourself, start a website, create profiles on academia.edu or researchgate or whatever else people in your field use. You could think of who your LOR writers will be and start putting together the materials you'll give them (but it's too early to actually contact them!). Lots of things you can do without access to the application software itself.