US Programs That Don't Require GRE?

smallaxe

Hi all,

I'm looking for Anthropology PhD programs in the States that don't require the GRE or exempt some students from it (e.g. New School doesn't require it for students who completed their undergraduate degree more than five years prior... like me!). Which ones do you know of?

I'm actually surprised that any PhD programs don't require it. I know of a MA program that doesn't require it but that's only 1 program. I should look into that because I'll have to retake the GRE when I go on for my PhD to make my application stronger.

You're right, most anthropologists are well aware of the pitfalls of standardized testing, and are highly skeptical toward the GRE. Many anthropology departments (especially for PhD programs) require GRE but don't really take your scores into account unless it is devastatingly terrible -- but even in that case, the applicant probably also has other red flags, like a poorly-written statement of purpose or poor performance as an undergrad. I think a lot of people want to blame rejections on a low GRE score, but that is almost never the case. My department merely requires GRE because it's the university standard, so the larger institution expects them to. 

• 2 weeks later...