Silly Questions RE: Interview

fancypants09

Hey all!

Just got back from an interview for an MA program earlier in the week. The interviews are optional for applicants; in other words, it's not indicative of you (the applicant) having made it to the next stage of the application process.

I had two questions on following up with the interview. Pretty silly, I know, but I'd really appreciate some input--the last time I interviewed for a school was when I applied to college like 10 years ago.

1. Do I need to send a thank-you note to the interviewer? My interviewer was a current student in the program, and I don't have a direct contact number or email address, so anything I would send would be going to the general admissions email account.

2. During the interview, we chatted about how I got to learn of the school and the program. I mentioned the names of two recent alumni who also attended the grad school I just graduated from (yeah, this will be my second time around for grad school). What do you think are the chances of the AdComm checking up on the two alumni that I mentioned during the interview? Do I need to write them and give them a heads up?

Thanks!

Hey all!

Just got back from an interview for an MA program earlier in the week. The interviews are optional for applicants; in other words, it's not indicative of you (the applicant) having made it to the next stage of the application process.

I had two questions on following up with the interview. Pretty silly, I know, but I'd really appreciate some input--the last time I interviewed for a school was when I applied to college like 10 years ago.

1. Do I need to send a thank-you note to the interviewer? My interviewer was a current student in the program, and I don't have a direct contact number or email address, so anything I would send would be going to the general admissions email account.

2. During the interview, we chatted about how I got to learn of the school and the program. I mentioned the names of two recent alumni who also attended the grad school I just graduated from (yeah, this will be my second time around for grad school). What do you think are the chances of the AdComm checking up on the two alumni that I mentioned during the interview? Do I need to write them and give them a heads up?

Thanks!

I'm guessing here but:

1- It never hurts to say thank you. It should be totally fine to send an email to the DGS. Also, if you know the students' names you can probably find their contact info in the "people" section of the department website and send them an email directly.

2- That's a tougher call. I'm leaning towards - no need to contact them. Even if the adcom contacted these people (which I doubt), it'd only be to ask for their general opinion of you. As long as they know who you are, that should be fine.

Thanks for the response, fuzzylogician.

I had a follow-up question. There were some parts of the interview where I felt like I gave OK/less-than-stellar answers. Is it advisable to touch upon those issues in my SOP or supplemental essay? Or better to use that space to talk about something else?

Thank-yous are always a good idea in my book.

Also, it is appropriate to call and ask the department coordinator if there is a better, ie more direct, means of forwarding the thank you. If the person's email info is available somewhere s/he could best direct you. I've never had anyone turn down a request to help me thank someone.

There were some parts of the interview where I felt like I gave OK/less-than-stellar answers. Is it advisable to touch upon those issues in my SOP or supplemental essay? Or better to use that space to talk about something else?

If you do this, I think it would have to be subtle and implicit. I would NOT say something like "I felt I did not give the best answer I could have during the interview, when you asked me X, so..." If you put in something that addresses what you are worried about, but sounds like a natural part of a SOP, that could work well, but...I wouldn't mention the interview at any point.

Thanks for your input, everyone...

I did send a quick thank-you note to the interviewer, and received a warm reply. :)

And I'll keep your suggestions in mind, socialpsych, when I am polishing up my SOP. My top priority right now is with the GRE...taking it next Friday!