Development economics/behavioral economics

Grameen

Hello, everyone

I am planning to apply for 2018 fall, depending on the preparation. 

Being cautious and nervous about my current status, so let me know there is actual possibility to apply for Ph.D.

- Working for government's development agency for 5.5 years (when applying for 2018 fall)

Within above working experience, work in developing country (africa region) for 2 years as a deputy director,

- On-going masters degree for public policy in my home-country

- B.A. in political science, 4.0/4.5

No GRE, but will take soon. Toefl 110.

Questions are..

I want to change my major from Poli-sci to Development economics, and take few courses such as micro, macro, econometrics in my grad school program.

How should i prepare for development economics PhD program? Is it better to get higher score on GRE instead of focusing on courses?

Is there any possibility to get in top-tier (15 ranking) schools with my backgrounds?

Thanks a lot

I don't think there is any "Development Economics" PhD. You have to compete against other Econ PhD applicants. And also, you can think PhD in Public Policy. You will be able to take the Micro, Macro and Econometric Courses in "Public Policy" as well.

I am not a PhD Student. PhD students can tell you better. Just sharing from my own observation.

Hey Grameen, i'm not in a position to write a response to more of your questions right now, but there definitely are Development Economics programs, outside of traditional Econ PhD departments.

Just take a look at Ohio State's Ag, Environmental, and Development Econ department here http://aede.osu.edu

A professor I studied with in undergrad had his PhD from OSU in that department, which is how I knew. But I'm 99% sure there are Dev Econ programs at other schools too.