Sending Score to Dept vs Admissions Office

CharlieS

Hello! The schools I am applying to want GRE scores sent to the department, admissions office, or both. How to I do each of these when ordering score reports? If I put the school code and dept. code, does this mean a report will go to both or JUST the department?

I hope I didn't end up wasting money by messing this up.<_<

Hello! The schools I am applying to want GRE scores sent to the department, admissions office, or both. How to I do each of these when ordering score reports? If I put the school code and dept. code, does this mean a report will go to both or JUST the department?

I hope I didn't end up wasting money by messing this up.<_<

Send it to the correct department code. Don't worry, the process is pretty self explanatory once you start it.

ETS doesn't send anything directly the department, I don't think. There are different options for the schools, but I think generally the schools get DVDs of all the test scores ordered during a specific period and then someone at graduate admissions will distribute to the correct department or, if admission are collated centrally, kept there. If you are applying for something where you can't find the correct department code (it might not be as clear for interdisciplinary programs like liberal studies or something, I don't know), check the programs's website. Most will list a GRE code, even though you'll notice that every PoliSci department uses the same code, every Sociology uses the same code, etc. etc. etc.

This is something that depends on each department. The University of Chicago, for example, wants you to just put in the institution code (and not include the department code) when you send a score report to them. I think all of the other schools I'm applying to want you to put in both though. You should check with each school you're applying to in order to make sure. If you make a mistake, it will probably eventually make it to the right place anyway, it just might take some time.

Edited by Francesca