Writing Sample for Ph.D in English programs

Hi,

I'm trying to figure out what to write about for my writing sample. I want to get my Ph.D in English with concentrations in critical theory and feminist studies. My BA was in History, and right now, I'm finishing my MFA in Creative Writing. Specifically, courses involving philosophy and gender have always challenged me, and when I read Maggie Nelson's The Argonauts, I knew for sure that I wanted to go for a Ph.D. I admire the work of Cixous, Barthes, Kristeva, and Acker, in particular, though I'm just barely beneath the surface in studying this area, but I want to know more!!!

Any suggestions or warnings?

Thanks!

• 3 months later...

Hello I am newbie so I am not too sure myself. I would say just write a research paper on a topic of your choice and have your profs read it. Then use their feedback to improve your paper. Your paper should ideally answer or try to answer a research question. Make sure to add citations and a bibliography. Sorry if I wasn't too helpful.