Nonresident Supplemental Tuition return possibility in University of California

Poriya

Question

Hi everybody.

I am a domestic student for master's degree in mechanical engineering at University of California, Irvine starting next fall. There is a Nonresident Supplemental Tuition that every nonresidents of the State of California should pay. I know that I am not currently a California resident. I wonder is there any possibility that after I would become a resident of California they would return this Tuition to me? I know that for some states it is possible but I am not sure about California. I searched the University's website but I did not find anything. Please share with me if you are aware of that. I would really appreciate it.

Edited by Poriya

1 answer to this question

I have never heard of the non-resident tuition being refunded in California after you become a resident. Instead, at most UC schools, if you are funded, the first year's funding will cover the non-resident tuition and you will be required to get resident status within 1 year because you will have to pay the non-resident cost out of pocket in subsequent years.

If your Masters program is unfunded, you should probably ask this question directly to the school's bursar or whatever office collects tuition. If paying the non-resident tuition is a problem, you might consider moving to California a year early (or deferring an existing offer for one year) and working to both gain extra money and attain residency status so that you can avoid paying the non-resident fee.