terrible supervisor first year/kicked out of the program..how do I go about re applying?

Hi everyone, I was just let go from a SLP masters program for not improving my clinical grade 2nd semester. It is a long story but basically I had no training in atriculation and I had a client with 8 different sounds on their goals and most of the sounds were distortions. I was a signed to a supervisor who had background in middle school/high school language and TBI. I was the onlyw student she had with an articulation Client  and she had no idea how to instruct me. She had me addressing 8 different sounds with this poor client and the client ended up making no progress. I learned nothing and all she did was give me feedback on everything, and I mean everything I did wrong. Nothing I could do was good enough. Anyways she gave me a D and between that supervisor and another supervisor my grade ended up being a C+.. I literally gave 200% that semester but it wasnt good enough. Also I became very depressed around midterm because the supervisor told me that She doesnt see this profession working out for me. So that little pep talk had me on edge every session afterward. I Was 5 hours away from my family and boyfriend and I was miserable.

I absolutely know that I am supposed to be an SLP and that grad program was not a good fit for me. My question is how do I apply to another program (maybe a distance program), do I have to tell them about that school or can I just pretend like it didnt happen?  Or should I be honest and explain my situation and what I had learned from it?  Has anyone else had something similar happen and got into another program? 

Edited by kdammeyer1118

It sounds like you're in a very difficult situation. I'm not sure if its what you need or what you're looking for but the first two things I thought of are:

1) You need to go back and talk to the program you were asked to leave from. Specifically, try to talk to that professor from clinic. Not with the goal of being readmitted, but with the goal of understanding what went wrong. If you don't, you won't be able to grow nor will you be able to explain it to any future schools which brings me to part 2

2) Absolutely, do not speak disparagingly about that professor, program, experience, etc in your interactions with future schools. It is sort of a "red flag kiss of death." You can (and probably should) talk about it, but do not blame anyone.

HI,

I had something similar happen to me. Long story short, I was sick for a long time during my first year as a graduate student. I wasn't advised to take a medical withdrawal during the time of my illness. When I tried to do that after receiving my third (very unexpected and undeserved) C, my request was rejected and I was dismissed. I was very depressed for a few months- with all of my good friends, continuing in the program and some of my professors saying that this shouldn't have happened. I decided to keep trying to get back into another program. In the last 2 years,  I took the praxis and passed it, worked as a special education aide at an elementary school, worked as an ABA therapist, volunteered at an Autism research center, shadowed and assisted an SLP in early intervention for over a year, retook 2 UNDERGRAD classes that i made Bs in the first time.....So far I've been rejected from 10 schools last year and 4/6 this year. I'm also at a loss of what to do. If anyone has advice for you, us, I'd love to hear it!

On May 8, 2016 at 11:20 AM, mcamp said:

It sounds like you're in a very difficult situation. I'm not sure if its what you need or what you're looking for but the first two things I thought of are:

1) You need to go back and talk to the program you were asked to leave from. Specifically, try to talk to that professor from clinic. Not with the goal of being readmitted, but with the goal of understanding what went wrong. If you don't, you won't be able to grow nor will you be able to explain it to any future schools which brings me to part 2

2) Absolutely, do not speak disparagingly about that professor, program, experience, etc in your interactions with future schools. It is sort of a "red flag kiss of death." You can (and probably should) talk about it, but do not blame anyone.

I definitely agree that it's a bad idea to say anything negative about your previous program. In my letters of intent- I used it as an experience I grew from, and mentioned all of my continued experience and interests after that happening. Although I haven't been accepted anywhere yet, it's good to stay positive anyway and look at it as something that has already happened and cannot be changed. 

12 hours ago, Yancey said:

I was just wondering if you spoke to the program director at the time this was occurring? 

Yes I did, I told the head of the department everything. I asked for help during the semester but every time I did it was thrown back at my face by reducing my grade for independence. I asked other SLPs and they all told me I should not be addressing so many sounds...but the department was not going to admit that they did somthing wrong. 

9 hours ago, nbnbnbnb said:

HI,

I had something similar happen to me. Long story short, I was sick for a long time during my first year as a graduate student. I wasn't advised to take a medical withdrawal during the time of my illness. When I tried to do that after receiving my third (very unexpected and undeserved) C, my request was rejected and I was dismissed. I was very depressed for a few months- with all of my good friends, continuing in the program and some of my professors saying that this shouldn't have happened. I decided to keep trying to get back into another program. In the last 2 years,  I took the praxis and passed it, worked as a special education aide at an elementary school, worked as an ABA therapist, volunteered at an Autism research center, shadowed and assisted an SLP in early intervention for over a year, retook 2 UNDERGRAD classes that i made Bs in the first time.....So far I've been rejected from 10 schools last year and 4/6 this year. I'm also at a loss of what to do. If anyone has advice for you, us, I'd love to hear it!

I am sorry to hear that! I am trying to stay positive and keep in mind that all of this happened for a reason. Do you think it would be in our best interest to not mention the first year of gradschool? Is that even allowed? 

On 5/11/2016 at 9:32 PM, iwontgiveuponslp said:

I am sorry to hear that! I am trying to stay positive and keep in mind that all of this happened for a reason. Do you think it would be in our best interest to not mention the first year of gradschool? Is that even allowed? 

Hi, I have explained my situation in every letter of intent I've written. I also explained my situation to some of the faculty of the schools I visited. Although I haven't had luck/acceptances, I think it's best to stay honest. You're supposed to send every transcript to every school. It would be a terrible situation if a school finds out the truth after you are already accepted....then there's definitely no going back. Good luck to us both :)