Would you wait til the last min for your 2nd choice?

Jennszoo

I only have 2 schools I can apply to, my first choice had a deadline of 1/15 and the 2nd choice has a deadline of 2/5. I was going to try to submit the first choice this week, just in case maybe I will hear something early. I wonder if there would be any value in waiting until the end of Jan in submitting app #2 - as in MAYBE I will hear early from #1? Or is that too risky just to save a little change?

I only have 2 schools I can apply to, my first choice had a deadline of 1/15 and the 2nd choice has a deadline of 2/5. I was going to try to submit the first choice this week, just in case maybe I will hear something early. I wonder if there would be any value in waiting until the end of Jan in submitting app #2 - as in MAYBE I will hear early from #1? Or is that too risky just to save a little change?

I've found that at least one of my recommenders often wait until the last minute. I'm never sure whether the door would close for them to submit their letter if I submit the application first so I end up waiting until the last minute to submit my applications anyway. I'm applying to over a dozen schools so the pattern has been repeated several times already. Since I am applying to so many schools I have to worry about saving a little change.

Assuming the second school doesn't have rolling admissions, I don't see any reason why it is "risky" to wait...unless you think you might forget to submit it? Maybe I'm missing something, but I don't really see what the problem is. Chances are you won't hear from your first choice within 2 weeks, but since I suppose there is a nonzero chance, and there is probably zero harm to waiting with the second school, I don't see why not.

Edited by socialpsych

Assuming the second school doesn't have rolling admissions, I don't see any reason why it is "risky" to wait...unless you think you might forget to submit it? Maybe I'm missing something, but I don't really see what the problem is. Chances are you won't hear from your first choice within 2 weeks, but since I suppose there is a nonzero chance, and there is probably zero harm to waiting with the second school, I don't see why not.

Agree with this statement. From what I've heard (from my programs at least) no one looks at the apps until after the deadline so it doesn't matter WHEN you submit as long as you submit before the deadline.

It seems unlikely that you'll hear before the holidays. But regardless, are your 1st choice and 2nd choice really that far apart? It seems to me that it's always better to have a choice; you never know - you could have a change of heart by April. An advisor could leave the school, you could not get enough funding, who knows. Since I assume you've already done most of the work and it's just about the money, go ahead and apply if you can afford it.

But regardless, are your 1st choice and 2nd choice really that far apart? It seems to me that it's always better to have a choice; you never know - you could have a change of heart by April.

This is a very good point too.