Advice from adcomm members

coyabean

The kind folks at Nebraska sent their monthly newsletter today and in it adcomm members discuss how they approach applications. Thought it might be of interest to you guys as well.

http://www.unl.edu/gradstudies/prospective/articles/200912.shtml

I expected mostly pat advice but some of the biggest questions asked here are tackled including the one about whether or not to address weaknesses and other biggies. Excerpts:

It is also helpful for the student to be upfront if part of his or her application is not as strong as it could be. For example, if a student had lower grades one semester, he/she should explain why in the letter of intent (perhaps an illness or death in the family). A lower GRE score in one area compared to another could be buttressed with a discussion of course work or a writing sample that emphasizes strengths in that area. Explaining upfront keeps us from guessing and possibly rejecting the application. We are much more likely to consider a student's application if we know the reason behind a weakness or steps you have taken to address it. It is always to the student's advantage to address the weakness rather than ignore it

At our admissions committee meetings, not only do we look at the qualifications of the individual (e.g., GRE scores, grades, reference letters and writing sample), but we also look at how they fit with our department's strengths.

I read letters of recommendation closely and what these letters tell me about the student is of critical importance..

Not news to the obsessive-compulsive amongst us here but it may be nice to hear it from someone else.

Happy Waiting Season to you all.

The kind folks at Nebraska sent their monthly newsletter today and in it adcomm members discuss how they approach applications. Thought it might be of interest to you guys as well.

http://www.unl.edu/gradstudies/prospective/articles/200912.shtml

I expected mostly pat advice but some of the biggest questions asked here are tackled including the one about whether or not to address weaknesses and other biggies. Excerpts:

It is also helpful for the student to be upfront if part of his or her application is not as strong as it could be. For example, if a student had lower grades one semester, he/she should explain why in the letter of intent (perhaps an illness or death in the family). A lower GRE score in one area compared to another could be buttressed with a discussion of course work or a writing sample that emphasizes strengths in that area. Explaining upfront keeps us from guessing and possibly rejecting the application. We are much more likely to consider a student's application if we know the reason behind a weakness or steps you have taken to address it. It is always to the student's advantage to address the weakness rather than ignore it

At our admissions committee meetings, not only do we look at the qualifications of the individual (e.g., GRE scores, grades, reference letters and writing sample), but we also look at how they fit with our department's strengths.

I read letters of recommendation closely and what these letters tell me about the student is of critical importance..

Not news to the obsessive-compulsive amongst us here but it may be nice to hear it from someone else.

Happy Waiting Season to you all.

It's like you read my mind! I was just thinking to myself today...hmm there has to be an article out there somewhere about how adcomm's approach applications, some insider tips or something... maybe I will post on the forum and see if anyone has seen anything like that.... and there here it was! creepy, haha, but thank you!

It's like you read my mind! I was just thinking to myself today...hmm there has to be an article out there somewhere about how adcomm's approach applications, some insider tips or something... maybe I will post on the forum and see if anyone has seen anything like that.... and there here it was! creepy, haha, but thank you!

Ooh! Ooh! Ooh! Next time think "I wonder if coyabean has gotten her two impressive fully funded offers yet?" :D