tablet for reading and videos

spectastic

I'm looking for a compact little tablet for reading papers, ebooks, listening to audiobooks, and watching videos. my smartphone is a little small. I'm thinking a 10" screen would be nice. any suggestions for something <$200?

I love my kindle! It is really cheap like under a $100! If you were willing to pay $200, I bet you could get a really big version. If you pay $10 a month for Kindle unlimited there are also a lot of free books that you can use for self-care or amplifying your papers depending on your program. The downfalls are that Kindles aren't very good for taking notes on, so if you were planning on using it to take notes on during class, I would not recommend it. 

2 hours ago, gradresearcher said:

I love my kindle! It is really cheap like under a $100! If you were willing to pay $200, I bet you could get a really big version. If you pay $10 a month for Kindle unlimited there are also a lot of free books that you can use for self-care or amplifying your papers depending on your program. The downfalls are that Kindles aren't very good for taking notes on, so if you were planning on using it to take notes on during class, I would not recommend it. 

thanks for the suggestion. my search led me to nexus 7, which seems to be one of the more popular tablets. The only thing is that the nexus 7 is about an inch bigger than my phone. The next size up nexus 9 is 2x the cost. sucks

I don't mind reading books on a 7" tablet. I don't know about research papers though.

I believe kindle uses a 7" screen right? do you read papers on it?

5 hours ago, spectastic said:

thanks for the suggestion. my search led me to nexus 7, which seems to be one of the more popular tablets. The only thing is that the nexus 7 is about an inch bigger than my phone. The next size up nexus 9 is 2x the cost. sucks

I don't mind reading books on a 7" tablet. I don't know about research papers though.

I believe kindle uses a 7" screen right? do you read papers on it?

Kindle has quite a few different sizes mine is the smallest, 7 inch, which I don't mind for reading books and textbooks. They have a 10 inch for $230. I can't say much about reading papers on it. I typically use my computer for that, so I am afraid I can't help you out too much on that front. Best of luck!  

http://www.amazon.com/Amazon-Fire-HD-10-10-Inch-Tablet-16GB/dp/B00VKIY9RG?ie=UTF8&redirect=true&ref_=kin_comp_dk_sa_img 

43 minutes ago, gradresearcher said:

Kindle has quite a few different sizes mine is the smallest, 7 inch, which I don't mind for reading books and textbooks. They have a 10 inch for $230. I can't say much about reading papers on it. I typically use my computer for that, so I am afraid I can't help you out too much on that front. Best of luck!  

http://www.amazon.com/Amazon-Fire-HD-10-10-Inch-Tablet-16GB/dp/B00VKIY9RG?ie=UTF8&redirect=true&ref_=kin_comp_dk_sa_img 

I did look into the amazon stuff. It's great for the casual stuff that I mentioned. however, I ended up picking an android because my phone is android. the google app store is much more varied than the amazon app store, which makes it good for traveling later on, so it ends up being a trade off between price+simplicity (Amazon) and performance+quality+versatility (Nexus).

and holy cow, this thing blows me away. say "ok google" and it googles! i'm like joaquin phoenix in "her." I'm not a gadget freak and this voice command thing has been around for a while, but got to hand it to them, this is pretty sweet.

any my big ass galaxy now feels like a midget. 

Edited by spectastic

• 4 months later...
On 5/24/2016 at 8:47 AM, spectastic said:

I'm looking for a compact little tablet for reading papers, ebooks, listening to audiobooks, and watching videos. my smartphone is a little small. I'm thinking a 10" screen would be nice. any suggestions for something <$200?

I got a Kindle Fire HD10 during last year's Black Friday (or Cyber Monday) sale for exactly these reasons and it was under the $200 price point too. Right now, it's $230 but if you are willing to wait until November, I think you can get it for around $180 if they do the same sale as last year. Or, you can pay $50 more and get it now, depends on what 2 extra months is worth to you. (Note: You may have to pay more if you want things like screen protectors, cases etc. If you really want to spend less than $200 total, including taxes, then go for the 8" Fire)

On 5/25/2016 at 8:31 PM, spectastic said:

I did look into the amazon stuff. It's great for the casual stuff that I mentioned. however, I ended up picking an android because my phone is android. the google app store is much more varied than the amazon app store, which makes it good for traveling later on, so it ends up being a trade off between price+simplicity (Amazon) and performance+quality+versatility (Nexus).

The Kindle Fire tablets are Android based and can be connected to the Google Play app store. You can do this with the Fire line, but not with the dedicated E-Readers.
http://www.howtogeek.com/232726/how-to-install-the-google-play-store-on-your-amazon-fire-tablet/

lol I just realised I commented on a really really old post. whoops!

But just in case others are still reading, one great thing about the Amazon Fire tablets is in addition to their Android awesomeness, if you have an Amazon Prime account, you can download Amazon Prime Videos to your tablet for viewing while you are offline. So you don't need an Internet connection to have access to things that you could normally stream. This is super useful on airplanes. It's limited to Amazon content only, but if you already have the account, the synergy makes sense!

nexus9 is holding up pretty well. it's doing it's job, although I'm not more partial to the 11" laptop I got, because I need to type stuff too.. still going to keep the nexus, for pleasure reading, vacations, and stuff.