TRANSCRIPT NONSENSE....

fred987

One of my schools is asking for transcripts from all institutions of higher education regardless if the credits show up on your undergraduate transcript (or perhaps because of it). At any rate, I took 9 ... 9!... credits as a HIGHSCHOOL student at a local community college. Now that same CC is telling me that it cannot give me a transcript for those 9! credit hours, unless I produce a highschool transcript for them. WHY DO THEY NEED MY HS TRANSCRIPT? Never mind, that their courses are on my hs transcript because I took them WHILE IN HIGHSCHOOL.

Here's the kicker. My highschool closed down two years ago.

Called the graduate school and they told me tough luck. What the hell do I do now?

Edited by fred987

Hm, that is a weird situation. I thought most colleges gave transcripts, even to non-degree students, if they were willing to pay for them... Also, I would assume that your high school administration would either email everyone their transcripts/files before they closed, or at least gave people contact information to obtain that information. I know I'd definitely have the same issues if my school closed, because one of my applications require that I receive a certification letter from my high school.

Anyways, I'm taking a shot in the dark with this one, but hope the following helps:

Usually, your undergraduate transcript will indicate where you went to high school. I would call up the registrar/admissions office at your undergraduate institution, explain your situation with your high school and community college classes, and ask if you can either see a copy of your application materials (if you live nearby) or if they can send a copy to you (if you are far away), or your high school transcript at least, so that you can get your community college grades.

Or better yet--can't you send the community college a copy of your undergraduate transcript with your high school name on it? That might do the trick, without you having to contact your undergraudate registrar.

You have two options, I suppose:

1. Don't send anything and don't mention it. Assuming these CC courses don't appear on your college transcripts, no one will ever know. I imagine that's what I'd do if I were in your shoes, even though it's usually considered a big no-no, because you need to solve this catch-22 somehow.

2. If the courses are mentioned somewhere: attach a letter to your transcripts explaining the situation and why you can't provide original transcripts. Consider sending whatever you do have - certificates showing grades for those courses, mention in highschool diploma (even if it's not a certified copy), etc.

In any case don't let this stop you from applying to a school!

Edit: this is of course after you've tried fancypant's suggestions and failed..

Edited by fuzzylogician

Yeah, the courses are on my transcript. I figured it all out. Contacted the county and they have electronic copies of the transcripts so they'll just send them over to the CC this week and hopefully the CC will send the transcript out the following week.

Thanks for the advice!

Edited by fred987

I think one viable option may be to go the graduate program you are applying to (if within reasonable difference) and explain to them what the situation is in person. They deal with dozens, maybe hundreds of questions via email/phone daily and so a face-to-face encounter may get you a fairer hearing. One suggestion I have is, if they continue to refuse in person, reiterate your request in a slightly louder tone. Keep getting louder with each successive denial, and I've never once not had the person give in, nor have I had to adopt a "booming" tone. This can be accompanied by a firm glare, crossing your arms and leaning against the door like you aren't going anywhere, etc. You must communicate seriousness.