Thoughts on MPP/MIA programs

Dreydenn

As an applicant for MPP/MIA programs this year, I'd love to hear anyone's thoughts on how top MPP/MIA programs are regarded. I'm particularly interested in Princeton WWS, Harvard Kennedy, Columbia SIPA, Tufts Fletcher, JHU SAIS and Georgetown MSFS. Even after working in policy in New York and Washington for two years after graduating, it remains difficult for me to differentiate these schools in a meaningful way, particularly because rankings are rare and rather unreliable (based on rank-ordered results of polls of professors and administrators).

I know full well that these are all good programs. When asking bosses, colleagues, and professors, however, I often found that people have certain conceptions of these schools, relative to one another, that may not be readily apparent to the average applicant. For example, I was told not to go to MSFS if you have any desire for a PHD afterward, but that the others regularly send people on, especially Princeton and Columbia. I'm interested in keeping that option open. To sum things up, however, the whole process from the outside is rather opaque. I'd love to hear the impressions that anyone has about these schools. No flames, please.