Out of school for a few years going into Counseling PhD

psycgrad9

Hi everyone, I am going through some panic/doubt periods as I am nearing going back to school. I graduated with my BA 3 years ago and will be going back to school now for a Ph.D. I am in my very late 20s. I wondering if I will be able to deal with the fact that I'll be one of the oldest grad students (at least first-years). Am I overthinking or are there some legitimate concerns? I'd love to hear from all perspectives. 

You won't be one of the oldest first years. I know a handful of late 20s early 30s RAs in the lab I was in last year that are entering programs this fall. In my own incoming cohort there's at least one who is almost 30. 

Contrary to how it may seem on TGC and SDN, it's equally common to enter a phd program in your mid-late 20s as it is to go straight from undergrad (like I'm doing). On the flip side, I'm worried about being the "baby" of the group, but as long as I'm 21 there won't be any kinds of events I can't go to that others in my program will. When I worked in a clinical setting during college, it sucked being left out of colleague bonding activities because everyone was 24-27 and I was 18. Even if one doesn't drink, not being allowed in these venues is still a barrier. 

I can't find the thread right now but I know there is an active one for "older" students, though posters in that thread tend to be late 30s+. 

tl;dr I think you'll be fine on the age front :)

I'm 53 going into my first year of a PhD. Just now finishing masters. You bring a different perspective to the department. They will be glad to have you. It's different going back to school as a non-traditional learner.

Edited by Apogeee
sent too soon!

I'm 25 and about to start my first year of a PhD program this Fall.  I too was concerned about my age, especially given that doctorates these days typically last 5-7 years, but we're definitely not the only ones who aren't starting straight out of undergrad.  What helped me relax was thinking about my future in the longer term.  By the time we're in our 30s, will a couple of years really make that much of a difference?  Everyone has a different path through life and this path is not always linear.  I know that personally I've mellowed out some in the past three years since graduating from undergrad and now have a much clearer perspective on life.  I'm sure you've gained some wisdom and emotional maturity in the past few years, too, and this will surely serve you well.

Edited by St0chastic

Taking gap years has definitely become the new norm. On my interviews, the ones straight from undergrad were very infrequent...could also be a clinical thing. Echoing @artsy16, I felt like the odd one out as the one coming straight from undergrad, and multiple people confronted me asking why I was doing that which I was not anticipating. I am also worried about being the baby. I think you will be great, age is just a number, and remember that the younger ones are feeling awk about their age too! :P 

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you everyone for your replies! It is so refreshing to hear I am not the "odd one out", but in fact, it's a lot more common than I thought. Although of course I wish I would have gone to grad school straight out of undergrad because of age reasons, I am so glad I didn't because I indeed gained a lot of maturity and experiences I otherwise wouldn't have. I now feel much more certain of my goals and have a mindset of "whatever it takes" to accomplish them.