Transcript Anomalies

I made unwise choices concerning three courses, and am briefly addressing two of those situations in my Personal Statement, trying to not make excuses but expressing what I have learned in a positive light. The third course was 18 years ago, at a second school after receiving my degree from the first school. Should I invest precious Personal Statement space on explaining this situation, or would it be better to use the space to promote my fit with the program and more recent events, such as my graduate degree and work experience? What do you think?

I made unwise choices concerning three courses, and am briefly addressing two of those situations in my Personal Statement, trying to not make excuses but expressing what I have learned in a positive light. The third course was 18 years ago, at a second school after receiving my degree from the first school. Should I invest precious Personal Statement space on explaining this situation, or would it be better to use the space to promote my fit with the program and more recent events, such as my graduate degree and work experience? What do you think?

To put this in perspective: 18 years ago I was eating boogers in a sandbox and giving myself cooties shots. I could spell the word "the" and if I recall correct had recently learn how to spell "cute" (you just take "cut" and add an "e"! Thanks Ms. Barsosky!) If you it was a pattern of bad grades (a full semester or something) maybe, but I don't really think the committee will be overly concerned about one course from that period.

I also agree that 18 yrs ago is way back and may not be indicative of the person you are now. I say, dwell on the current.

I wouldn't send a mixed message or mention any of that bad stuff. I think "explaining low grades" is more about a semester or year where your grades were very low.

Even as recent as last year during undergrad, I got a couple D's and C's. From what I read on the web I thought I had to explain them in my SoP. But every version I wrote (from a whole paragraph down to one sentence explanation) people kept telling me to chuck it because it didn't flow with all the good stuff I was saying. It was too jarring and hurt my "selling myself" to the committee. Life happens sometimes, and bad grades result. Most academics will understand this.

Only mention low grades if they dominated your record and are recent. Otherwise, look forward. Spending time on stuff from 18 years ago will tell the committee that you haven't moved on.

I attended law school for one semester (last year) and had mediocre results (2.93). With one exception, all of my professors advising me on my applications told me not to even mention it in the SOP, unless I could somehow tie it in to my plan of graduate studies. Otherwise, they said I should drop the topic entirely and not worry about it, since my undergrad GPA was high.

Edited by BCEmory08