Need help regarding GRE

alfredadler

Hi everyone, I just found this forum and was wondering if you could help me. I am a student in the University of Prishtina, Kosovo. I am in my last year of studies in General Psychology. I am looking to get a Master's degree in General Psychology at NYU. I'm not content with the level of education in Kosovo, and in order to advance to a phD program I want to (in a way) repeat my general psychology knowledge and make leeway to get into a good phD program. My main concern however is the GRE. Is it as hard as people say? I have been in Kosovo's school system for about a decade now, and have no good knowledge of these types of tests. Is there any good material I can find online that will orient me towards higher test scores? And a final question: is it too hard to get in NYU? What are your experiences with college admissions?

Thank you all so much in advance! ^_^

On 6/12/2016 at 2:15 PM, alfredadler said:

Hi everyone, I just found this forum and was wondering if you could help me. I am a student in the University of Prishtina, Kosovo. I am in my last year of studies in General Psychology. I am looking to get a Master's degree in General Psychology at NYU. I'm not content with the level of education in Kosovo, and in order to advance to a phD program I want to (in a way) repeat my general psychology knowledge and make leeway to get into a good phD program. My main concern however is the GRE. Is it as hard as people say? I have been in Kosovo's school system for about a decade now, and have no good knowledge of these types of tests. Is there any good material I can find online that will orient me towards higher test scores? And a final question: is it too hard to get in NYU? What are your experiences with college admissions?

Thank you all so much in advance! ^_^

The test is tiring, because you have to select "all of the right answers" not just light on the first right answer you see. 

Long-term, sustained preparation will help you do well on the GRE. Use the Online test information provided on the GRE web site. Make sure you understand all of the tasks required.

For writing, make sure you are answering the prompt. Test day is not the time to get fancy. Keep it simple and clear. Plan your answer before you begin writing.Allow time so that you may reread what you wrote.

NYU is a competitive school. Work on your personal statement, as that is a key part of your admission portfolio. 

Hi,

Read this blog post on Preparing for GRE.

GRE requires at least 2-3 months of sincere preparation. If you have more than that, Good! Especially if you are not a native English speaker, you would require more time to get a reasonable score on the verbal section.

NYU has acceptance rate of 35%. So it can be difficult to get an admit but it all depends on your overall profile and application package. GRE, Statement of Purpose(SOP), Recommendation letters, Undergrad academics are all considered for admissions.

You can explore other universities at http://www.mygradapp.org/search_univ.html

If you have any more questions regarding graduate school admissions, you can post your questions on http://www.mygradapp.org/forum.html

Edited by Karan Thakkar