PhD EE...Chances?

jasephrock

Hi. I'm new to this forum and it's very interesting to read people's perspective on various topics. It is also stressing me out though, reading about people's rejections from schools....

I'm currently a senior at Ohio State planning on graduating in the spring. I've applied to several top schools (MIT, Cornell, UIUC, Stanford, and UC Berkeley) because I want to become a professor in the future, and I've also applied to OSU as back up. All for PhD programs.

My stats:

GPA: 3.95

GRE: 800Q 490V 5.0AW

2008 Summer REU @ Texas A&M

Currently doing research at OSU for senior honors thesis

What do you think my chances are of getting in to those top schools? I haven't authored or co-authored any publications, and it worries me that some people here who have have been rejected from those schools. My GRE verbal is low too...

publications are certainly a plus but since you're applying as an undergrad it's not uncommon to be without that particular credential. GPA is one of the most important aspects as well as previous research experience so you definitely have decent chances.

It all comes down to if professors in your area of study need more grad students, definitely start contacting the ones you want to work with.