Accepting/Rejecting offers so soon?

06aculot

Hey guys,

I recently applied for a masters degree in environmental engineering at various schools (Purdue U, Northwestern U, Columbia U, UVa, Penn State U- U park, RPI, Cornell).

I officially completed all of my applications on December 1st (confirmed after e-mailing all programs), since I wanted to make sure everything was in and ready before the Christmas Break. Anyway, on December 11th I was surprised to receive an acceptance letter from Penn State U. Being a well known, respected engineering school, I was pretty happy to get a positive response from my first decision notification. However, I then read the following..."A written response, accepting or rejecting this offer of admission, is requested by March 1, 2010."

Now, I might be wrong, but this is a VERY early date to be asking for a written commitment. I am expecting to receive a few responses during mid-late march and early April (mainly Columbia and Northwestern), while the other universities should be notifying me mid-February (that's my guess).

With this in mind, I was hoping to get some feedback from others that might be facing/have been faced with this experience? I am worried that most of my acceptance/rejection letters will arrive right before the deadline, or likely afterward, making it very hard to choose the best program in such a small time frame (assuming I get in anywhere else of course). Just something that is irritating me..

Thoughts? :)

Edited by 06aculot

Hey guys,

I recently applied for a masters degree in environmental engineering at various schools (Purdue U, Northwestern U, Columbia U, UVa, Penn State U- U park, RPI, Cornell).

I officially completed all of my applications on December 1st (confirmed after e-mailing all programs), since I wanted to make sure everything was in and ready before the Christmas Break. Anyway, on December 11th I was surprised to receive an acceptance letter from Penn State U. Being a well known, respected engineering school, I was pretty happy to get a positive response from my first decision notification. However, I then read the following..."A written response, accepting or rejecting this offer of admission, is requested by March 1, 2010."

Now, I might be wrong, but this is a VERY early date to be asking for a written commitment. I am expecting to receive a few responses during mid-late march and early April (mainly Columbia and Northwestern), while the other universities should be notifying me mid-February (that's my guess).

With this in mind, I was hoping to get some feedback from others that might be facing/have been faced with this experience? I am worried that most of my acceptance/rejection letters will arrive right before the deadline, or likely afterward, making it very hard to choose the best program in such a small time frame (assuming I get in anywhere else of course). Just something that is irritating me..

Thoughts? :)

I don't know if funding is involved..because you didn't say but:

Council of Graduate Schools Resolution

Thanks for the quick response fellas.

I was actually not aware of that resolution, which I find really interesting. Now, I unfortunately did not receive financial aid (pretty sure it's because the program is really small and it's a public university). However, the March 1st deadline still poses a pretty big roadblock for obvious reasons. Given my situation (no financial aid), do you guys think it would still be a good idea to e-mail them and request either a deadline extension, or at least an explanation for the early deadline? Particularly because March 1st is insanely early...

Thanks for the quick response fellas.

I was actually not aware of that resolution, which I find really interesting. Now, I unfortunately did not receive financial aid (pretty sure it's because the program is really small and it's a public university). However, the March 1st deadline still poses a pretty big roadblock for obvious reasons. Given my situation (no financial aid), do you guys think it would still be a good idea to e-mail them and request either a deadline extension, or at least an explanation for the early deadline? Particularly because March 1st is insanely early...

I would say it would be worth it to contact them...it's not like they're going to rescind your offer because you ask the question, so it can't hurt. If they want you in their program, I would think that they would try to work with you.

Also, key word: they said "requested," not required. I have a feeling it was worded that way for a reason. They want an answer by March, but they know they aren't really supposed to require it until April 15 (regardless of financial aid, this is the generally used deadline in graduate admissions).

Edited by alexis

Also, key word: they said "requested," not required. I have a feeling it was worded that way for a reason. They want an answer by March, but they know they aren't really supposed to require it until April 15 (regardless of financial aid, this is the generally used deadline in graduate admissions).

I think this is the key here. You should contact to double check, but they are on the list of CGS. Otherwise, just let them know you are waiting to hear about other offers and will get back to them as soon as possible (though you can wait until April 15 if you feel like it).

One offer I got (actually the one I ended up accepting) had a response deadline of March 31. When I visited (mid-March) I asked why, and mentioned that one of my school visits wasn't scheduled until April 2. They were happy to give me extra time to decide--but told me, very plainly, that if I was going to reject them, they'd prefer that I do it well before April 15. This would give them time to extend funded offers to other applicants.

Thanks for the responses everyone!

Seems like I will be waiting until...probably mid February and see where I stand. If I need more time I'll definitely send them an e-mail and ask for a time extension (if possible). Hopefully I will get some other positive responses before that though :D

In the meantime, thanks again and good luck to everyone!