to go at all -- humanities/social sciences?

should I?  

9 members have voted

1. 1. should I?

• go now!
    • wait--take your chances and reapply

Just wanted to poll the opinions out there. When should you got to grad school in the humanities/social sciences if you're not 100% sure you want to be a professor.

My scenario:

...I have a fairly lucrative "business" job that I like okay, but I am currently completely exhausted from long hours and travel. I have always wanted to get a PhD and always thought that I eventually wanted to teach. I am no longer sure, but I think that I would love graduate school.

I only applied to a couple places, and I only got in to one--Harvard. I visited and the people are great, the program is great, the funding is good. But a PhD is a big commitment. That said, there is no guarantee that I would get in again in a year or two. I am probably going to accept.

Thoughts?

I voted to wait. The reason for this is that it sounds like you're suffering from work burnout. You mentioned that you like your job okay, but are exhausted from long hours and travel. Getting a PhD will be exhausting, for a longer amount of time, and considerably less money. I think you should wait a year to see if you still feel as strongly about grad school before you walk away from your current career.

Important Information

This website uses cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. See our Privacy Policy and Terms of Use