Predicting Success

lhouston

Hey guys,

After completing all of my applications, the questions are rushing through my head. I have a GRE V: 620; Q: 630; and A: 5. My GPA is 4.0. I have research experience, a submitted manuscript (co-author), over 5 presentations, and TA experience. What are my chances of getting accepted into schools like PSU,  Michigan, and Teachers College? I'm referring to doctoral programs. Furthermore, I have been contacted via email and postal mail by schools such as Cornell and WashU. Is that an indication of interest or just a standard letter sent out to most students?

I think you should be fine. Your GREs are probably the closest thing to a weakness in your application and even they aren't that bad, they're just not exceptional (I'd say they're above average). Publications ALWAYS look great in applications; even top-tier schools frequently don't except students to have publications when they apply. Provided you have a decent SOP and good letters, I'm sure you'll do fine.

I'm no expert, also applying to similar-ish programs to study OB. My take: your verbal is good, I would say your quant might be considered a little low, but your great GPA & research experience are going to help a lot. I can't say what your chances are at those particular schools though, I don't really know much about them. Here are some good admissions stats from PSU's psych department though (although you may have already seen this):

http://psych.la.psu.edu/graduate/stats-IncomingClasses-AdmittedStudents.pdf