ACS Entrance Exams

So my graduate school requires all incoming chemistry students to take five ACS exams; organic, inorganic, physical (two semester exam), biochemistry, and analytical (only the instrumentation portion. I have to pass prove that I am sufficient in 4 of these either through getting a good enough grade on the exam or taking the class during my first year.  Ideally I would prefer to take none of the classes.  I have already decided physical chemistry is the class I won't take as it is my weakest area.  Biochemistry is my strongest and intended area of study.  

My question is how should I study for the exams.?  I have until the end of August and want to get an early start.  I have taken a physical chemistry exam as an undergrad so I know what it looks like.  I have kept all my notes from undergrad and I have all the books except the inorganic one.  My school also has some "study guides" online.  

Thanks in advance for your advice  

Best bet is to find / download the official ACS exam study guides. Some of my undergrad classes used the ACS exams in the classes and they really aren't too bad, especially if you review a bit and go through the booklet to see which type and how they ask the questions. You should be able to have a pretty good idea of how well you will do based on how you feel after going through the booklets. Then use that to guide yourself through your notes/books etc.

When I had to do this, I just went over my undergrad notes/texts from each class. I figured that was the way I'd learned the material, that would be the easiest way to review it. 

I can't tell from your post if you're saying you aren't going to try the PChem exam- if not, do- I found it the easiest of them. 

Thanks for the advice. 

20 hours ago, Eigen said:

I can't tell from your post if you're saying you aren't going to try the PChem exam- if not, do- I found it the easiest of them. 

I am planning taking all five exams but if I don't pass the pchem exam I don't plan on taking the class.