GRE or GMAT?

Hi there. I applied to just one school this past application season, and didn't get in - got waitlisted instead. I've given up hope for admission before fall 2016, so I'm gearing up for another more fulsome round of applications for summer/fall 2017 instead. 

I have never taken the GRE because the school I applied to advised me to focus on my work experience instead of taking the GRE and potentially scoring low.

My list of schools to apply to now includes an MBA program, where they might consider a GRE if it's a strong application. Otherwise they take GMAT results only. The last time I did math was high school - and the grades I scored were great back then - so I can picture intensely throwing myself back into it for a GMAT over the next three months, with the guidance of a tutor.

BUT the rest of my list is all intl relations/global affairs/media masters programs. So my question is: do I simply forgo the GMAT and prepare for the GRE instead? Do I (gulp) try and do both? Should I simply do a GMAT and submit that to the other programs (they don't require a GRE but they say that if you are doing a test, give them GRE results)?

Basically, what's the best test to throw my weight and effort behind? I only get one more shot at this and I work full-time and don't want to compromise this coming round of applications!

Any advice is appreciated, thanks.

Edited by justajournalist