Letters from Grad School

Eigen

I ran across "Letters from Grad School" today, which is an attempt by some graduate students and fellows at Harvard University to collect stories about grad school- successes, failures, leaving, graduating, everything in between. 

I think open discussions (as are on forums) are important, as is a place for graduate students to share their individual paths. 

They're primarily focused on biology/biomedical sciences, but are accepting submissions from any discipline. There's a form for people interested in submitting, all final essays (post editing) will be posted on the website, a subset will be published as a book. Anonymous submissions are allowed. 

http://lettersfromgradschool.org

Thought some people here might be interested- lots of people with unique stories. 

I think this is a great idea and I'll try to make some time to write a submission this summer :)

Our school approached the grad students about our interest in doing something like this as a way to show what grad school is like! The goal was to highlight the diversity of grad students---different backgrounds, different ideas of success, different experiences, etc. We wanted to show people that you didn't have to be one type of person to succeed in grad school! We were really excited about this but then we learned that the grad school basically wanted us to write about specific things only and it sounds like there would be heavy moderation in what they were willing to publish. I guess it's understandable because they were viewing it as a recruiting tool primarily (and potential privacy concerns). So unfortunately that died, but I'm glad to see that Letters from Grad School is a thing!