Help studying for quant on GRE

mrsi

Hello,

First of all, I am thankful this forum exists. The whole graduate school process can be stressful and I'm glad to see others going through a similar experience.

Here is my question: I am taking the GRE in less than 2 weeks. I am satisfied with my verbal scores on practice exams, but I need to improve my quant score. It's the timing that stresses me in quant. I have purchased the Kaplan prep book as the the 5lb book of practice problems to refresh my skills. I did very well as far as correct/incorrect; however, my math scores on my practice exam still hover consistently around 150. 

I know I need to practice on timing. Should I just work 20 problems in 35 minutes repeatedly for the next two weeks or is there a better way? I do not think it is the math that is the problem...it is stressing over time and spending too much time on a single problem.

Thanks for the help in advance.

You're on the right track. Timed math sections will be important. You'll want to analyze what's going on with individual questions, but also your decision making: are you rushing questions and making careless mistakes? Spending time getting questions wrong that you shouldn't have even attempted? Trying to complete all the questions instead of strategically skipping some?

Kaplan tests are not what you should be using to prepare - the questions are way too straightforward. The 5-lb book is for conceptual practice, not for test-taking practice. You need computer tests.

I'd use the ETS Powerprep tests in conjunction with the Manhattan Prep computer tests. The ETS tests will be the most important ones to analyze. Keep in mind that, since the Powerprep tests adapt, there is an easy, medium, and hard second section. By using an answer key, you can make sure you get to take all three instead of just one. The ETS tests (and to some extent, the Manhattan tests) will also give you a realistic score (the Kaplan tests will not).

Overall, getting in a groove during the last week is more important than chasing down any concepts you don't know. But don't forget to analyze your decision making each time you take a practice test and make the needed adjustments.